RF Engineer (Hybrid)
Company: Panasonic Avionics Corporation
Posted on: September 21, 2023
Our new global headquarters is conveniently located in Irvine,
CA near John Wayne Airport in the Park Place development. For our
onsite and hybrid employees you will be able to enjoy amenities
such as access to many restaurants and shops, running trails, a
fitness deck, outdoor seating, dry cleaning, car wash, free garage
parking, car charging stations, shuttle service for train
commuters, outdoor games like bocce, horseshoes, gaming tables,
pickle ball, and basketball. For more information on Park Place
Who we are:Ever wonder who brings the entertainment to your
flights? Panasonic Avionics Corporation is #1 in the industry for
delivering inflight products such as movies, games, WiFi, and now
Bluetooth headphone connectivity!How exciting would it be to be a
part of the innovation that goes into creating technology that
delights millions of people in an industry that's here to stay!
With our company's history spanning over 40 years, you will have
stability, career growth opportunities, and will work with the
brightest minds in the industry. And we are committed to a diverse
and inclusive culture that will help our organization thrive! We
seek diversity in many areas such as background, culture, gender,
ways of thinking, skills and more.If you want to learn more about
us visit us at www.panasonic.aero. And for a full listing of open
job opportunities go to www.panasonic.aero/join-us/.The
position:Responsible for providing support and guidance to lower
level engineers in the overall design of LRUs which may include
sustaining, design & development, layout, analysis, evaluation,
prototype build, and testing of mechanical, electronic, and
electromechanical components and systems. Has specific technical
project or product responsibility. Designs a complete and complex
RF based communications framework system. Apply RF and mixed signal
capabilities, RF front-end design, radio propagation modeling and
prediction, microwave path analysis, interference analysis and
filter design, frequency coordination, analog-to-digital
converters, teleport equipment layout, and circuit design. Defines
processes for technical platforms, system specifications,
input/output and working parameters for hardware and/or software
compatibility. Conceives system interfaces and business application
proof of concept. Identifies, analyzes and resolves system design
weaknesses. Influences the shaping of future products by
contributing to the framework (architecture) used across Panasonic
productions satellite network. Provides multi-layered technical
expertise for next generation initiatives.
The salary rangeof $123,000-$206,000 is just one component of
Panasonic's total package. The final offer amount may vary based on
factors including but not limited to individual's knowledge,
skills, experience, and location. In addition, this role may be
eligible for discretionary bonuses and incentives. The minimum
hourly wage for this role will be the greater of the posted range,
or minimum wage for the location where the employee will be
working, subject to local minimum wage requirements.Product
Design/Development, 3rdparty development support and requirements
- Independently develop and govern appropriate hardware circuit/
module solutions and enhancements for planned RF system (1 to 40
GHz) deployments and improvements.
- Independently research and evaluate RF solutions (L band, S
Band, C band, Ku, Ka) for communications and monitoring of
Satellite and related communications networks.
- Establish and refine component specification of existing
terminals components in terms of meeting overall system
- Participate with members of management in the design and
development of products and analysis of customer requirements.
- Assist in the determination of a problem solution while giving
consideration to form, fit, function, weight, product ability,
manufacturing, product marketing and cost.
- Help lead the coordination efforts and activities between
Manufacturing, Obsolescence, Product Planning and Material Planning
departments for the selection and ordering of parts, materials,
components, or processes with vendors and suppliers.
- Work with the respective Project Manager, or when required
independently, to generate and update Design and Development
schedules. Provide technical consulting to peers or immediate
- Formulate a design plan or work from technical objectives and
overall schedules as specified by senior project staff.Sustaining
Design, Analysis, Build and Test Activities.
- Perform sustaining, design, development and planning including
layout, analysis, evaluation, prototype build and testing of
mechanical, electronic, and electromechanical components and
- Perform qualitative and quantitative tests to determine
properties, characteristics, and performance of materials,
circuits, mechanisms, assemblies and systems.
- Design and develop electronic circuits and assemblies including
CAD (schematic, layout and simulation).
- Select hardware and material assuring compliance with
specifications and product requirements. Record and analyze test
data. Verify embedded firmware and higher level software
functionality of the product.
- Apply standard mathematical and hands-on techniques, procedures
and criteria to engineering assignments.
- Follow all departmental QOP and WI processes to ensure all
documentation is generated, completed and released in a timely
- Guide and mentor the work of lower level engineers, designers,
and support personnel as assigned. Provides technical direction to
members of assigned work teams.
- Assume ownership and responsibility for the product
design.Manufacturing / Operation Support
- Lead efforts to troubleshoot and analyze RF system issues in
- Provide an alternative components, change BOM and investigate /
support supply chain issues.
- Improve yield problem and repair shop support for troubleshoot
and RCA (Root Cause Analysis)Customer / In Service Issues
- Oversee and manage deployed system performance and in-service
performance (SLA, MTBF and more) with intent of recommending and
guiding solutions to satisfy our customers.
- Continually and relentlessly pursue improvements for next and
- Lead efforts to troubleshoot, RCA, and analyze RF system issues
with a proposed solution.Process
- Provide support in establishing and maintaining procedural
maintenance and change management for architectures.
- Work with process /cross functional teams to test and refine
- Ensure change management procedures are adhered to
- Participate as needed in various review boards (Requirements,
Architecture, Change Control and more)What we're looking for:
- BS in Electrical Engineering required followed by an MS or Ph D
in Electrical Engineering preferred.
- Experience 5-10 years' experience in areas such as higher
mathematics, electronics, mechanics, and circuit design. 8 plus
years of work experience with BS degree, 5 plus years' experience
with MS and 1-2 years' experience with PhD degree.
- Experience with an RF modeling tool such asCST Microwave Studio
or Ansoft Designer.
- Design and optimize RF circuitsfor complex modulation such as
OFDM,mPSK, QAM, etc.(All frequencies bands - L , C, S, Ku, K, Ka).
Knowledge of low profile, beam forming antenna for satellite
communications. Knowledge of RF signal distribution, satellite
transceiver, cellular telephone RF circuits, WLAN and microwave
circuits with frequency range of10MHz to 50GHz.Knowledge of
electromagnetics, antenna, and microwave theory.
- RF circuitsincluding up and down converter, gain blocks, low
noise amplifier (LNA), phase shifter, amplifiers, mixer, phase
locked loop (oscillator), RF switches, band pass filters and
- RF development for commercial applications with a proven track
record of designs that are currently in production.
- Ability to lead cross functional, and third party partners
teams, to achieve key milestones and objectives for complex
- Highly proficient in designing and developing requirements from
specifications, oral instructions, or preliminary sketches.
- Experienced making personal contributions to the success of the
Antenna industry by developing highly creative RF solutions to
technical problems and/or products.
- Advanced ability to identify and solve complex problems using
- Advance ability to understand satellite systems, radio signal
propagation, RF communications, and Antenna systems including
architectural and technical documentation skill
- Ability to provide technical direction to assigned project
teams and perform as a technical expert and a source of
- Ability to integrate information from more than one discipline
(Mechanical, Hardware, Software, Product Planning & Manufacturing
Engineering) to achieve results or successfully complete difficult
and challenging assignments within a specialized field.
- Works with general guidelines but independently determines the
best approach for solving a problem. On-going activities are
- Works as an expert/advisor within RF communications systems and
cross functional teams, frequently serving as a consultant to
peers, customers (internal or external), and management.
- Develops advanced technological ideas and architect their
development and integration into a products and systems.
- Able to work independently to evaluate data and quickly come to
decisions where erroneous decisions or recommendations would
typically result in failure to achieve critical
- Serves as organization spokesperson on advanced projects and/or
programs independent of management.
- Domestic and international travel will be required (up to
10%)Contribution to Society - Fairness & Honesty - Cooperation &
Team Spirit - Untiring Effort for Improvement - Courtesy & Humility
- Adaptability - GratitudeWhat we offer:At Panasonic Avionics
Corporation we realize the most important aspects in leading our
industry are the bright minds behind everything we do. We are proud
to offer our employees a highly competitive, comprehensive and
flexible benefits program.
- We offer flexible remote work options depending on your role.
Where possible, we offer fully remote or hybrid work
- Paid time off: Exempt Salaried employees receive unlimited PTO.
This means that there is no fixed number, range, or limit to the
amount of Personal and Vacation Days that may be taken for exempt
employees. Non-exempt hourly employees accrue 14 vacation days per
year + 7 sick days + 3 personal days. Accrual rate increases with
tenure. All employees receive 11 company paid holidays per year
plus a paid company-wide shut down in the U.S. between Christmas
and New Year.
- Insurance: Medical insurance offerings from Aetna and Kaiser
(CA &HI). Options for Employee Only, Employee + Spouse/Domestic
Partner, Employee + Children, or Family. Dental PPO and DMO options
& Vision insurance through EyeMed or VSP.
- 401K with 50% match on up to 8% contribution, full vested from
- Other offerings include: Wellness Program, Counseling services,
FSA & HSA, Life Insurance for employee, spouse and child, AD&D
Insurance, Long-term and Short-term disability, Critical Illness
Insurance, Accident Insurance, Legal Assistance, Pet Insurance,
Identity Theft Protection, Dependent Care FLSA, Education
Assistance, Commuter Program, Employee Purchase Program, Service
Award Program.All applicants are subject to Company policies, third
party customer and worksite requirements, and government
requirements, regarding vaccination and/or testing for COVID-19.
Where permitted by applicable law, applicants may be required to be
fully vaccinated with an authorized COVID-19 vaccine as a condition
of employment,unless they are eligible for and obtain an exemption
based on areasonable accommodationbecause of a disability or a
sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance. While the
Company strongly encourages COVID-19 vaccinations, it may require
vaccination and/or testing for positions in which third party
customer, worksite, or government requirements apply, in accordance
with applicable law. At those locations where requirements apply,
exemptions will be considered based on applicable law.Panasonic is
proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and
any other characteristic protected by law or company policy. All
qualified individuals are required to perform the essential
functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Pre-employment drug testing is required for safety sensitive
positions or as may otherwise be required by contract or law. Due
to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to
candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid
authorization to work in the U.S. Thank you for your interest in
Panasonic Avionics Corporation. Provide engineering, estimating and
planning services for refrigeration systems, Port-A-Pak, Econo-Pak,
coil products, cases and panel products to the branch or
distributors, including sales, service, construction, manufacturing
and engineering departments to service customers' needs. Not ready
to apply? Joining our talent community not only provides you with
job updates but insider peeks on some of the innovative
technologies you could work on.
Keywords: Panasonic Avionics Corporation, Irvine , RF Engineer (Hybrid), Professions , Irvine, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!