Fundamental Skills Clinical Faculty, Adjunct
Company: West Coast University
Posted on: January 25, 2023
SUMMARY: - Reporting directly to the Campus Associate Dean
Nursing Academics (theory) or Manager Clinical Faculty (clinical),
the Instructor I, Nursing (Undergraduate) supports the University
in fulfillment of its mission, purpose and goals. Focuses
extensively on facilitating student learning associated with
prescribed course and program learning outcomes. Provides
professional leadership and support, and serves as an educator,
role model, mentor, and facilitator. Creates an educational
environment which fosters innovation, responsiveness, and
accountability. - Provides program-specific expertise and is
actively engaged in relevant department initiatives. Supports
University, Campus, and/or departmental goals in order to assure
compliance with programmatic accreditation and/or licensure,
internal consistency, and graduate outcomes that meet student
learning, workplace and - - placement expectations. - Actively and
substantively participates in assessment of student learning
activities to maximize the potential for students to learn what is
necessary to meet prescribed outcomes. Vigorously upholds a culture
of academic integrity ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
(Every effort has been made to identify the essential functions of
this position. However, it in no way states or implies that these
are the only duties you will be required to perform. The omission
of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the
position if the work is similar, related, or is an essential
function of the position.) Clinical Instruction:
- Assumes complete responsibility for students in the clinical
facilities. Clarifies clinical expectations with students.
- Clarifies student placement and expectations with clinical
- Utilizes care planning time to direct students to available
resources needed for clinical preparation. Assesses student
knowledge and skill level to ensure safety and optimal care to
- Coordinates a plan to best instruct, observe, and evaluate
student learning and clinical practical skills in direct clinical
care setting related to area of instruction.
- Utilizes pre and post conference to allow students an
opportunity to share learned experiences. Correlates weekly theory
content with clinical objectives and experiences.
- Provides feedback of clinical performance immediately after
observation of event and, of overall performance at midterm and end
- Provides effective academic counseling for assigned clinical
students. Provides continual and immediate feedback to students in
a private setting.
- Identifies verbal and nonverbal behaviors indicative of the
need for student counseling. Encourages the student to use problem
- Establishes/maintains office hours or appointments at times
accessible to students.
- Establishes and maintains communication l between the clinical
facilities manager, staff and WCU. Apprises clinical partner staff
of student objectives in each clinical area.
- Works with clinical partner staff to clarify policies and
procedures specific to facility.
- Validates with clinical partner staff the effectiveness of
student placement and progress in meeting mutually established
- Attends Program Advisory Committee meetings. GENERAL SCOPE OF
- As applicable to teaching assignment(s), records and posts
daily class attendance and grades as required, completes and
submits assignments in a timely manner, and grades tests, quizzes,
lab assignments promptly, returning constructive feedback to
students as soon as possible.
- Engages in systematic collection of student's work for
University outcomes assessment purposes.
- Maintains and uses West Coast University officially approved
- Submits accurate grade-in-progress report(s) as required during
the term/semester in accordance with the posted syllabus to the
campus program Dean or Chair.
- Posts accurate points and final course grades earned throughout
the term/semester in accordance with the posted syllabus as per
- Assists with program activities to ensure compliance with
applicable federal, state and local laws and -regulations,
accrediting bodies, and University policies and procedures in
concert with other West Coast University campus programs.
- Reviews and recommends improvements and enhancements to the
consistency and quality of course -offerings, course/program
development, and curriculum.
- Participates in student success activities such as engaging in
student academic counseling and/or -establishing a point of contact
for internal resource/access for student issues.
- Assures students are provided instructional support service
within the subject area taught to maintain the -highest level of
student achievement while safeguarding the integrity of the
- Serves as a mentor, role model and facilitator and provides
guidance and academic support for students. Attends meetings as
required to share information, guidelines and procedures,
coordinates activities, and to -further disseminate information
across the assigned department.
- Regularly attends and participates in program Learning
Communities, if applicable. Follows proper procedures/channels of
- Participates in professional development and organizations in
order to remain current in the field. Maintains professional
appearance for position and is courteous and approachable to
- Adheres to University policies and procedures and conducts job
responsibilities in accordance with the standards set out in the
University's Code of Ethical Conduct, Compliance Agreement, Sexual
Harassment Policy or any of its policies and procedures, applicable
federal and states laws, and applicable professional
- Maintains confidentiality of all student, associate, and/or
University information as required.
- Exercises care, proper use and maintenance of department
equipment and supplies and identifies unsafe conditions and makes
- Maintains order, cleanliness, and safety at work.
- Performs other duties as assigned. EDUCATION:
- Must have the minimum higher education background required by
the program. Must provide a documented background in educational
methodology consistent with teaching assignments including, but not
limited to: education theory and practice, current concepts
relative to specific subjects one will be teaching, current
clinical practice experience or distance education techniques and
- Master's degree in specialty field required.
- Graduates from the West Coast University Master of Science in
Nursing program, who meet the minimum experience requirement as a
registered nurse, are eligible for consideration as a clinical
faculty immediately -following graduation
- If applicable, certification(s) in area(s) of specialization
- In California, must meet Board of Registered Nursing
requirements as stipulated in their statues:
- Section 1425(c) states, " An instructor shall meet the
following minimum qualifications: 1425(a)(1) A Master or higher
degree from an accredited college or university which includes
course work in nursing, education, or administration. If degree
other than in nursing submit information verifying course work in
- 1425(c)(3) Completion of at least one (1) years' experience
teaching courses related to registered nursing or completion of a
post-baccalaureate course which includes PRACTICE IN TEACHING
REGISTERED NURSING. Submit official course description to verify
- 1425(c)(2) Direct patient care experience within the previous
five (5) years in the nursing area to which he or she is assigned,
which can be met by: (A) One (1) year's continuous, full-time or
its equivalent experience providing direct patient care as a
registered nurse in the designated nursing area; or (B) One (1)
academic year or of registered nurse level clinical teaching
experience in the designated nursing area or its equivalent.
- Current unencumbered Registered Nurse License required; other
current professional licensure by state or national board if
applicable (e.g., FNP).
- Must meet and maintain the qualifications and standards set
forth by the state Board of Nursing for nursing faculty if required
for assigned subject matter instruction.
- Current CPR card.
- Clinical RN - Must have approval by the Board of Registered
Nursing (BRN) (if required by the state) prior to assuming the role
of clinical faculty member.
- Must meet and maintain the qualifications and standards set
forth by any accrediting body that West Coast University is
accredited by or in process of obtaining accreditation from, for
area of expertise and expectations of faculty member as set forth
in regulatory documents.
- Must maintain any professional certifications deemed necessary
to meet the requirements of the teaching role.
- Current certification in basic life support procedures
including healthcare provide CPR with an Automated External
- Health certifications for an Occupational Safety and Health
Administration (OSHA) Category I classified position (potential for
exposure to infectious diseases at work). As an essential component
of the West Coast University infection-control program
immunizations and tuberculosis clearance documentation is required
in accordance with current Center for Disease Control and
Prevention (CDC) and OSHA recommendations and guidelines for
Health-Care Personnel. Below are health certification details which
are subject to change as required by OSHA and CDC.
- Immunizations - based on the CDC Recommended Immunizations for
Health-Care Personnel (HCP),
- all HCPs must submit documentation of immunization to Hepatitis
B (HB) (series of three doses with anti- HBs serologic testing 1-2
months after dose #3), proof of immunity to Hepatitis B, or a
signed declination; Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR); Varicella
(chickenpox); and Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (booster every 10
years). -Highly recommended immunizations for the HCP include
COVID-19, Influenza (yearly), Hepatitis A, and Pneumonia. For some
individuals, a titer test will be indicated vs. vaccinations. Titer
tests showing immunity to listed pathogens are acceptable. Titer
tests showing a negative response require appropriate immunizations
and follow-up titers must be completed and submitted. If one or
more of the listed immunizations are contraindicated, documentation
must be submitted clearly identifying the reason(s). Clinical
laboratory reports with facility stamp and medical doctor's
signature are required.
- Tuberculosis Clearance - the CDC Guidelines for Preventing the
Transmission of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in Health-Care Settings
are intended to protect the HCP and patients.
- Two Options (consult with supervisor for specific program
- The TB screening program consists of two major components: (1)
baseline single test for M. tuberculosis infection and (2) serial
testing/screening for M. tuberculosis infection. The HCP must have
a baseline single test followed by serial skin testing once per
year. If the HCP has a baseline positive result or has previously
had a positive result, a chest radiograph must be completed to
exclude a diagnosis of TB disease. Thereafter, every year the HCP
must receive a symptom screen.
- The TB blood test (also called interferon-gamma release assays
or IGRAs) measures how the immune system reacts to the bacteria
that cause TB. An IGRA measures how strong a person's immune system
reacts to TB bacteria by testing the person's blood in a
laboratory. IGRAs are the preferred method of TB infection testing
for people who have received bacille Calmette-Gu--rin (BCG) as this
is a vaccine for TB disease. There is no problem with repeated
IGRAs. Two IGRAs are approved by the U.S. Food and Drug
Administration (FDA) and are available in the United States: (1)
QuantiFERON --TB Gold In-Tube test (QFT-GIT) and (2) T-SPOT -.TB
test (T-Spot). Positive IGRA: This means that the HCP has been
infected with TB bacteria. Additional tests are needed to determine
if the HCP has latent TB infection or TB disease. A health care
worker will then provide treatment as needed. Negative IGRA: This
means that the HCP's blood did not react to the test and that
latent TB infection or TB disease is not likely. -
- One year or less experience in teaching in a university or
college setting required as defined by University's faculty
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite Products,
especially Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and other MS office products
- Working with online learning management systems to further
engage the student learning process desirable.
- Knowledge of state, federal and local laws/regulations relating
to programs, governmental compliance and other regulatory standards
such as state Board of Nursing, Commission on Dental Accreditation,
- Dental Hygiene Committee, state Dental board, Accreditation
Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND), Western
Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) or other regulators
and/or accreditation bodies.
- -Clinical RN - Must have a minimum of two (2) year's prior
experience as a registered nurse providing direct patient care and
have a minimum of one year experience in the field in which they
teach. ABOUT USFor over 100 years, West Coast University has been
educating and preparing students for professional careers across
our six campuses located in Southern California, Dallas, Miami, and
Online. As part of our unique student-centric approach to advanced
healthcare education you will be empowering future healthcare
professionals. At West Coast University our students are Ahead of
the Curve. Our Mission is to embrace a student-centric learning
partnership that leads to professional success. We deliver
transformational education within a culture of integrity and
personal accountability. Our benefited faculty and associates are
offered a comprehensive benefit package including:
- Health & Wellness
- Financial & Retirement
- Family & Parenting
- Vacation & Time Off
- Perks & Discount
- Professional DevelopmentWest Coast University is proud to be an
equal opportunity employer, and we seek candidates who desire to
work in and serve an ethnically-diverse population.Campus: WCU
Keywords: West Coast University, Irvine , Fundamental Skills Clinical Faculty, Adjunct, Other , Irvine, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!