Special Education (Mild/Mod) Teaching Assistant (Elementary School)
Company: Mardan School
Posted on: November 25, 2022
The teaching assistant (TA) is a member of a teaching team who
supports the Master Teacher in a special education classroom of up
to 12 students with social/emotional/learning and/or behavioral
issues. While a teaching credential or permit is not a requirement
of the job, that document allows the TA to legally substitute
(subject to certain restrictions) for the teacher, upon the
teacher's absence. An uncredentialed teaching assistant may
remediate and enforce curriculum previously taught by a
credentialed teacher, but may not teach new material. Most of our
assistants are currently working toward obtaining credentials or
graduate degrees in a related field.
*Duties and Responsibilities*
* Work one on one or with a small group of students to reinforce
and practice curriculum previously presented as directed by the
* Assist in Implementing the Master Teacher's behavior management
* Observe and provide behavioral assistance to students in support
of their special education programs
* Assists students with developing proper social behavior
* Monitor the safety of students in a variety of environments
* Performs a variety of clerical and supportive duties related to
classroom activities such as
* Typing, duplicating, distributing, and filing instructional
* Recording data
* Taking attendance
* Assisting with maintaining data with respect to logs, records,
charts, and student files.
* Grading assignments
* Direct communication with parents/guardians, school
administrators, and therapists
* Interact with students in an understanding, patient, and
* Child guidance principles and practices.
* Child and young adult growth, development, and behavioral
characteristics of students with special needs
* Subject matter taught - including math, grammar, spelling,
language, and reading.
* Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and
* Behaviors associated with autism
* Applicable laws, codes, regulations, policies, and procedures
related to assigned position.
* Classroom procedures and appropriate student conduct.
* Safe practices in classroom and playground activities.
* Operation of a Chromebook and Google Classroom.
* Oral and written communication skills.
* Interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy.
* Basic record-keeping techniques.
* Basic first aid techniques.
* Techniques used in motivating students and de-escalating
*HOURS, PAY, & BENEFITS: *
The position is from an immediate start date to 7/22 annually.
Hours are approx. 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. M-F.
Compensation is $18.66 to 22.39 per hour
10 paid personal days
Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans
403B and SEP/IRA Retirement Plans with employer contribution
Comments and Other Information
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Position requires livescan/fingerprint (done at the time of hire)
and current TB clearances.
Mardan required staff to either be fully vaccinated for COVID
(including boosters) OR submit to weekly COVID testing. Mardan
practices social distancing, masking, and sanitization
*To apply, please go to: *
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $18.66 - $22.39 per hour
* Dental insurance
* Flexible spending account
* Health insurance
* Health savings account
* Life insurance
* Paid time off
* Retirement plan
* Vision insurance
* Day shift
* Monday to Friday
* No weekends
Ability to commute/relocate:
* Irvine, CA 92604: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before
starting work (Required)
* High school or equivalent (Required)
* special ed classroom teaching (mild/mod): 1 year (Required)
Work Location: One location%58047475%
Keywords: Mardan School, Irvine , Special Education (Mild/Mod) Teaching Assistant (Elementary School), Other , Irvine, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!