Patient Referral Specialist
Company: City of Hope
Posted on: August 5, 2022
About City of HopeCity of Hope is an independent biomedical
research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other
life-threatening diseases.Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader
in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell
therapy. City of Hope s translational research and personalized
treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human
synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough
cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution.
AccessHope , a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and
their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope s
specialized cancer expertise.A National Cancer Institute-designated
comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National
Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the
nation s "Best Hospitals" in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and
received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing
Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with
additional locations throughout Southern California and in
Arizona.City of Hope s commitment to Diversity, Equity and
InclusionWe believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in
serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive
innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on
eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our
commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the
full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and
experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people
we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are
dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in
ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work
and represented in our people.Position SummaryResponsible for the
scheduling of patients for initial physician, administrative, and
diagnostic testing appointment for New Patients as applicable.
Creates corresponding visit in registration and ensures visit are
linked with authorization and financial clearance completed.
Provides patients with itinerary of future appointments and
instruction as applicable. Ensures patient safety using positive
patient identification protocol and obtains the appropriate
consents. Assist patients with obtaining records, slides and other
materials required for their initial visit. Provides accurate and
timely communication with physicians and clinical staff with regard
to records and imaging status. Provide clerical and scheduling
support to the clinical staff.Key Responsibilities include:
- Screens telephone calls appropriately and expeditiously.
Identifies and resolves issues at point of service and refers most
difficult inquires to Patient Referral Services Clinical Nurse, or
- Assists the Patient Referral Services Department in efficiently
processing new patients and acquainting them with the City of Hope
- Creates appropriate outpatient visit for incoming new patients.
Ensures all the appropriate information re: demographics,
guarantor, diagnosis, and insurance is correct prior to the initial
- Processes and documents the updated verification of insurance
using an on-line insurance verification system. Reports results of
insurance verification to clinical and financial staff. Enters
insurance into registration system.
- Maintains thorough knowledge of managed care and governmental
- Insert the percentage and essential function
- Refers patients to financial counselors to resolve insurance or
- Accepts, denies, and closes cases in registration system as
directed by clinical staff
- Schedules patient appointments for clinic and /or diagnostic
services as directed. Demonstrates an in-depth understanding of the
flow of the patient scheduling process within the paper and
electronic environments. As applicable, collaborates with other
departments to schedule complex appointment types.
- Demonstrates accuracy and completeness in scheduling patient
appointments. Escalates issues regarding scheduling in a timely
manner to supervisor as applicable.
- Assures that the correct pre-registration visit encounter type
is linked to the scheduled appointment.
- Ensures authorizations of services are entered into EPIC prior
to confirmation call to patient
- Provides patients with appointment information and all
necessary documents needed for new patient appointment
- Receives and manages phone calls from patients and departments
regarding patient appointments.
- Contacts patients who fail to show for scheduled appointments.
Reschedules appointments as directed and indicates reason for
- Assures use of positive patient identification to assure
- Ensures Medicare MSP are completed as required
- Coordinates to ensure reports, diagnostic testing, biopsy
slides, and any other pertinent material is received before initial
visit. Documents and communicates receipt of materials on clinical
forms and scheduling system
- Assists patient with the collection of outside medical records
needed for their initial visit. Ensures that necessary data is
received prior to the appointment. Follows up on missing materials
- Communicates and follows up with and notifies outside
facilities of testing required before appointment at the medical
- Scans documents into patient electronic medical record.
Performs a daily QC of scanned documents
- Verifies appointment schedules and directs or escorts patients
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of computer capabilities and
functions in EPIC, Salesforce, and all necessary programs
- Maintains appropriate level of productivity for work
- Maintains appropriate level of accuracy for work
- Maintains departmental record and files for efficient
operations, including online web applications. Assists with
identification of trends and issues as it relates to marketing,
public announcements, and factors affecting Patient Access.
- Assures workspace is neat and orderly
- Assures workspace is neat and orderly
- Properly documents all necessary notes and information into
EPIC and Salesforce enabling easy transition for others covering
- Maintains thorough knowledge of various sections within the
department in order to provide assistance and back-up coverage when
- Investigates and/or ensures that questions and requests for
information are responded to in a timely and professional manner.
Receives, handles, and transfer phone calls and messages within the
department promptly and courteously.
- Communicates and interprets patient and family needs and
problems to the specialty team. Serves as liaison with hospital
staff and personnel from other departments to coordinate the work
of the department and its staff to facilitate providing care and
services to patients.
- Assures that a positive service image is projected in all
encounters with patients, visitors, and department staff. Greets
patients and visitors, ascertains needs, and directs
- Follows established City of Hope and department policies,
procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance,
safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including
adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan.
Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. Basic
education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- High School or equivalent. Experience may substitute for
minimum education requirements.
- Three years medical office clerical or customer service
experience. Certification or degree may substitute for minimum
experience requirements.Preferred education experience and skills:
- Medical office, telephone reception, computer scheduling,
insurance verification and records procurement.
- Demonstrated ability / experience working with healthcare
- Medical terminology.Additional Information:
- As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to
comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
- There are 3 positions available.City of Hope is committed to
creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal
opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, religion,
color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified
individual with disability.
Keywords: City of Hope, Irvine , Patient Referral Specialist, Other , Irvine, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!