Distinguished Data Scientist
Posted on: January 16, 2022
When you join Verizon Verizon is one of the worlds leading
providers of technology and communications services, transforming
the way we connect across the globe. Were a diverse network of
people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future.
Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of
technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we
are moving the world forward and you can too. Dream it. Build it.
Do it here.What youll be doing... In this technical lead role, you
will use your experience in machine learning, time series
forecasting and optimization for implementation of AI in commercial
applications. You will serve as an expert in business forecasting
and optimization.You will work closely with data science and
engineering teams and the entire data scientist community at
Verizon in proactively designing and developing AI capabilities.
These AI capabilities will include predictive, prescriptive and
adaptive applications for all predictions and inferences at
Verizon. Models will typically get implemented on premise, in cloud
and/or on the edge and in both real-time and batch mode depending
upon the business applications.At Verizon, we are on a multi-year
journey to industrialize our data science and AI capabilities. Very
simply, this means that AI will fuel all decisions and business
processes across the company. At $130B+ in annual revenue, this is
a pioneering opportunity to design and shape AI at scale in the
Telco industry. With our leadership in bringing 5G network
nationwide, the opportunity for AI will only grow exponentially in
going from enabling billions of predictions to possibly trillions
of predictions that are automated and real-time. Therefore, it will
be critical that you possess previous experience in research and
validation of AI and data science techniques.
- Partner with key business stakeholders to develop AI strategy
and roadmap and develop and execute plans to deliver business
- Independently manage portfolios of AI projects and design,
develop, and deliver AI solutions from E2E
- Develop the next generation of AI that drives innovation,
accurate business forecasting, lower operating expenses and
increased efficiency, and business growth.
- Operate as an expert both within Verizon and externally within
- Serve as a technical thought leader and advisor to the
organization and trusted advisor to our business partners.
- Stay informed on the latest advancements in AI and technology
space, finding ways to deliver value by applying and customizing
these to our specific problem space.
- Drive innovation by introducing state of the art AI techniques
and technology to the team.
- Actively research and develop new techniques/solutions to solve
business problems and accelerate AI Industrialization.
- Help create an environment where our scientists are engaged in
pioneering work that can be shared with the world in a number of
ways like open source, publications, etc.
- Help establish best practices and governance routines to ensure
adherence to model management policies, peer reviews, and
compliance to our policy standards for privacy, ethics, and
- Mentor and coach junior data scientists in their career
development and technical knowledge and skills.
- Help attract, recruit and retain top data science and AI talent
and build a diverse team with an inclusive culture.What were
looking for... You are a master at analyzing big data. You thrive
in an environment where enormous volumes of data are generated at
rapid speed. Youre a creative problem solver who loves to explore,
and uncover the issues. You are decisive. You are phenomenal at
influencing up, down, and across groups, and you take satisfaction
in mentoring others. Communicating what youve uncovered in a way
that can be easily understood by others is one of your
strengths.Youll need to have:
- In this hybrid role, youll have a defined work location that
includes work from home and assigned office days set by your
- Bachelors degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in scaling AI in areas like forecasting,
optimization, operations, etc.
- Manipulating and analyzing data from different sources (cloud
and on premise), at different scales (big data and small data), and
of different formats.
- Knowledge of a variety of AI/ML models, frameworks (keras,
pytorch, etc.) and libraries/packages/apis (e.g., scikit).
- Experience developing models and algorithms independently,
writing your own code, developing strategy for algorithmic
experimentation, and deploying in production.Even better if you
have one or more of the following:
- Bachelors/Masters degree or PHD in mathematics, statistics,
physics, engineering, computer science, or economics.
- Ability to explain both the code and the underlying math used
in algorithms/models. Coding proficiency with demonstrated
expertise in python, java, R, etc.
- Communication & cross-functional collaboration skills.
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills.Equal Employment
Opportunity Were proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and
celebrate our employees differences, including race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know
that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a
collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity
and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel
valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and
contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page
to learn more. COVID-19 Vaccination RequirementVerizon requires new
hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides
reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g.,
for medical or religious reasons).
Internal ID: 577469PandoLogic. Keywords: Data Scientist, Location:
Irvine, CA - 92604
Keywords: Verizon, Irvine , Distinguished Data Scientist, Other , Irvine, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!