Sr. Engineer - CAE Safety
Company: Karma Automotive
Posted on: June 10, 2021
Southern California-based Karma is more than just a car company.
Although we are best known as a creator of soul-stirring luxury
electric vehicles, Karma has emerged as a high-tech incubator
offering innovators a perfect platform to prove their emerging
technologies. Every Revero is designed at our Headquarters in
Irvine and created with great individual care and world-class
craftsmanship at the Karma Innovation and Customization Center in
Moreno Valley, CA.
The Sr. Engineer - CAE Safety will be involved in many aspects
of the safety performance of multiple vehicle programs. In addition
to CAE analysis, this role will establish and maintain a close
working relationship with many Karma engineering groups. Similarly,
strong integration skills are expected as this person will
interface between Karma engineering groups and engineering service
companies. At Karma, there is the opportunity to work with some of
the industry's brightest minds in what is currently a
transformation of the automotive industry. Fundamentally, this role
will have a significant impact on the design of multiple vehicle
models, using your CAE and engineering skills.
- Provide CAE support through build of state of art FE models to
the finest details.
- Support design progression with multi-disciplinary engineering
teams based on your analyses.
- Drive the vehicle designs with CAE, while balancing all
applicable Global Safety Requirements for specific area of
responsibility (i.e frontal impact and side impact like
- Perform advanced CAE simulations to evaluate and enhance full
vehicle crashworthiness performance in conjunction with occupant
- Develop and apply advanced safety/crash methodologies and
analysis techniques to drive innovation into product
- Develop and support subsystem level and full vehicle crash
tests in line with standard protocols and best practices.
- Perform post-crash test analysis and correlate CAE to test
- Develop appropriate highly predictable failure models of
materials and joints to enable good correlations with physical
- Conduct optimization studies by utilizing optimization CAE
tools, including DOE/ DFSS techniques on vehicle designs to meet
performance requirements with the constraints of mass and
- Perform analyses for feasibility for manufacturing, assembly,
and service processes.
- Provide input in the creation of component specification,
component DFMEA, and other technical design documents where
analysis plays a pivotal role.
- Produce concise management summaries and report-outs that meet
the needs of management system functions.
- Generate all safety targets that will form part of the agreed
programme targets, with both internal and external resources.
- Responsible for leading the development of all passive safety
systems, BIW, Interiors, and Exteriors, drawing from a considerable
depth of all safety load cases from both a legislative and consumer
test point of view, including frontal, side, rear, whiplash, and
- Create design guidelines and procedures to avoid known
problems, assist engineering functions to achieve component and
vehicle level performance, and meet set overall vehicle
- Display a willingness to go beyond the assigned projects and
contribute to the CAE process.
- Solve challenging problems with minimum supervision.
- Energetic and hard-working.
- Desire to challenge established traditional CAE methods and
process to improve efficiency and accuracy.
- Mentor other team members as applicable.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering. Master's and Ph.D.
- Minimum of 10 years of demonstrated successful experience on
CAE safety (Structural crash, occupant safety, Pedestrian
- Strong fundamental knowledge of mechanics, dynamics, and
- Strong understanding of the legal and consumer safety
requirements for global market and ability to translate the
regulatory requirements into the design criteria for structures and
restraints specific to frontal and side crash.
- Demonstrated ability to deconstruct complex crash test
scenarios with good logic and analytics.
- Excellent applied software experience in ANSA, HYPERWORKS,
PRIMER, Animator and LS-DYNA, preferred. Additional experience in
NASTRAN, TOSCA, MODEFRONTIER and ABAQUS beneficial.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver analysis on difficult projects
with tight timing constraints.
- Motivator that is organized and a team player that can offer
solid solutions to quickly resolve challenging design issues with a
creative passion for innovation. Able to communicate efficiently
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and with others on
problems that are unusual or difficult.
- Demonstrated ability in iterative and collaborative automotive
engineering environments (at least 1 vehicle program) - success in
roles requiring high levels of technical communication and
interpretation of analytical results to Design Engineers and
- Basic knowledge of Quality Management Systems (ISO 9001:2015)
and Environmental Management Systems (ISO 14001:2015), as
No 3rd Parties. Principals Only, Please
Join Karma as we transform transportation and mobility with
innovative team work.
Karma Automotive offers a complete benefits package including
medical, dental, vision, life, STD, LTD; paid vacation, holidays
and personal days; and a 401K with matching contributions.
Relocation assistance may be available.
Karma Automotive LLC is an equal employment opportunity (EEO)
employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, gender
identity and expression, color, sexual orientation, marital status,
pregnancy or related conditions (including breastfeeding), national
origin/ancestry, religion, military/veteran status, genetic
information, citizenship status or any other characteristic and
group protected by applicable law. Karma Automotive LLC complies
with the Americans with Disabilities Act to ensure equal access to
all qualified individuals with a physical or mental disability.
Valid driver's license may be required based on essential
Keywords: Karma Automotive, Irvine , Sr. Engineer - CAE Safety, Other , Irvine, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!