Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever.
This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we
build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what's possible, never
simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old
problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that
are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a
love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern
California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo
Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as
a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
In this position you will drive vehicle optical analysis
activities from initial concept through production. You will be
responsible lighting simulations and optical development across
multiple vehicle systems.
- Define vehicle interior lighting performance targets
- Analyze vehicle designs to ensure compliance with optical
- Scan physical material samples, digitize material properties,
and maintain a materials database
- Perform digital lighting simulations to evaluate interior
lighting conditions including reflections, specular glare, and
- Work hard, exceed expectations, challenge industry conventions,
and relentlessly strive to make truly exceptional products
- B.S. or higher in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- 5+ years of experience in automotive optical engineering,
including at least one full product lifecycle from concept through
- Comprehensive understanding of vehicle optical performance and
- Experience with standard 3D CAD software such as CATIA V5 or
- Experience with optical simulation software such as ANSYS
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all
applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices
laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, national
origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender
expression, gender identity, genetic information or
characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic
partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or
any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is
accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability
or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with
Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the
search and application process, please email us at
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our
Candidate Privacy Notice.