Corporate Counsel (Remote)
Posted on: June 7, 2021
Weedmaps is a leading technology platform in the cannabis
industry. Our mission is to power a transparent and inclusive
global cannabis economy.
We are looking for a Corporate Counsel to join our amazing Legal
team! Our Legal Department takes an active role in guiding the
direction and structure of our strategic initiatives, products, and
commercial arrangements. We're a team of generalists who all bring
deep knowledge in our areas of expertise but handle the breadth of
legal issues that Weedmaps encounters. You'll focus your efforts on
a wide array of corporate and commercial matters, including
securities, corporate governance, acquisitions, investments, and
commercial transactions. And you'll collaborate with business
partners throughout the organization to help them navigate the
complex legal landscape at the intersection of technology and
The impact you'll make:
- Provide tactical and strategic advice to Weedmaps business
leaders on corporate finance and securities law matters, including
compliance with obligations under federal securities laws and
Nasdaq rules and regulations, such as preparation and filing of
Forms 10-K, 10-Q, 8-K, proxy statements and other filings.
- Lead mergers and acquisitions and other strategic transactions,
including by proposing and implementing appropriate transaction
structures and drafting term sheets and definitive agreements.
- Manage corporate governance and administration for Weedmaps and
its domestic and foreign subsidiaries, including preparing Board of
Director materials and corporate resolutions, facilitating the
annual stockholder meeting process and overseeing local filings and
administration of corporate records.
- Draft, negotiate, review, and interpret commercial agreements
(with a focus on SaaS and other technology agreements) with our
vendors, partners, and customers.
- Assist in creating and improving processes, agreements,
document templates and policies, including regarding insider
trading, related party transactions, Regulation FD, and related
- Advise business partners on business and legal issues and
risks, company policies, and business strategy.
- Provide advice and counsel to the Company and product team
regarding new product offerings and functionalities in light of
rapidly changing applicable laws, including those related to data
privacy and security, and collaborate with your colleagues on the
in accordance with new products, laws, and regulations.
- Identify potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk,
and develop and implement corrective action plans for resolution of
- Conduct research regarding legal and compliance issues
affecting the Company's businesses, translating complex laws and
regulations into practical advice and solutions, including by
acting as subject matter expert for applying the cannabis
regulations of your assigned jurisdictions to Weedmaps' product
What you've accomplished:
- JD degree and active membership in at least one US state
- 5+ years of experience practicing corporate or transactional
- Experience advising clients on public company reporting and
compliance matters, as well as corporate governance matters.
- Minimum of 3+ years of corporate governance, mergers and
acquisitions, securities, or technology transactions experience
working at or advising technology companies (either in-house and/or
at a global law firm).
- In-depth knowledge of applicable securities law.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Highly self-motivated and able to work independently with
- Ability and willingness to quickly develop expertise in legal
and regulatory areas to meet needs of our dynamic business.
- Strong analytical, drafting and negotiation skills, as well as
excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Talent for thinking creatively to find practical solutions to
- Organized and detail oriented.
- Able to effectively prioritize and manage multiple
- Sophisticated interpersonal skills, including the ability to
develop strong internal relationships, influence others, and work
as part of cross-functional teams and in partnership with team
members at all levels of the organization.
- Able to manage and oversee outside counsel and paralegals,
business associates and other team members.
- Passion for startups and technology.
- 100% paid employee monthly Medical, Dental and Vision premiums
AND 80% paid dependent monthly premiums
- HMO (California residents only) and PPO option offered through
- Company-paid $50,000 in Basic Life/AD&D (Accidental Death
and Dismemberment) coverage
- 401(k) Retirement Plan: 100% match on the first 1%. 50% match
from 2-6% of employee contributions
- 3 weeks PTO (accrued) and 5 sick days (immediate)
- Supplemental, voluntary benefits
- Kindbody (family planning/fertility) including up to $10,000
towards cash-pay services
- Goodly (Student Loan Repayment/529 Education Savings) including
a company contribution of up to $1,000/year
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Medical, Dependent, Transit and
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Critical Illness
- Accident Insurance
- Short- and long-term disability
- Pet Insurance
- Paid parental leave
- During current work-from-home:
- Reimbursements for home office setup and monthly WiFi
- 11 company-paid holidays
- Catered lunch and snacks provided when working in the
- Snack boxes sent straight to your door when you
- Casual work environment, read no fancy clothes required, but
you are free to dress to the nines!
- Monthly virtual happy hours
- Quarterly all-hands meetings
Weedmaps is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or
any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be
discriminated against on the basis of disability. We are looking
for the smartest and most passionate people who want to join our
team and develop the services, systems, and marketplaces that will
serve the marijuana industry in the decades to come. Our company
uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly
hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your
rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Founded in 2008, Weedmaps is a leading technology and software
infrastructure provider to the cannabis industry. Our suite of
cloud-based software and data solutions includes point of sale,
logistics and ordering solutions that enable customers to scale
their businesses while complying with the complex and disparate
regulations applicable to the cannabis industry. In addition, our
platform provides consumers with information regarding cannabis
products across web and mobile platforms, including listing local
retailers and brands, facilitating product discovery and allowing
consumers to educate themselves on cannabis and its history, uses
and legal status. Headquartered in Irvine, California, Weedmaps
employs more than 400 professionals around the world, with offices
including Barcelona, Denver, and Toronto.
So what are you waiting for? Join the Weedmaps family!
Keywords: Weedmaps, Irvine , Corporate Counsel (Remote), Other , Irvine, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!