Senior Hardware Design Engineer
Posted on: June 6, 2021
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever.
This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we
build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what's possible, never
simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old
problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that
are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a
love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern
California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo
Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as
a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
In this role, the hardware design engineer will own electrical
system design, bring-up and validation for current and next
generation of Rivian electric vehicles.
This would be a highly visible role working cross-functionally
to influence design, contribute to solve HW/SW system integration
challenges and experience complete prototyping to manufacturing
product development cycle.
This is what you'll do:
- Own the hardware design and lead development of the vehicle
electrical system by creating complete electronic modules from the
ground up to Rivian Standards. Hands-on design and validation of
prototype hardware and maturing the design by characterizing and
debugging test vehicles to optimize your design
- Contribute to evaluating system failure modes, create and drive
integration and validation plans and support the execution of these
test plans. Collaborate with software and integration engineers to
ensure hardware and software integration requirements are well
understood and implemented correctly at all levels of the stack, on
the bench, and in the system
- Simplify complex functions and features to their core
components using first principles approach to drive simple and
structured requirements and production friendly solution working
with broader team
- Participate in safety and reliability reviews and contribute to
resolving reliability issues for components, subsystems, and
assemblies. Collaborate with reliability engineers to support DFMEA
to drive reliable design choices and improve validation test
- Drive technical decisions and guide the team in the right
direction. Coach and mentor junior engineers.
- Think holistically. Understand impact of your plan or decision
to program and customers. Deep dive into technical issues to drive
data driven decisions.
This is what you'll need:
- BS + 6 years or MS + 4 years or PhD +3 years or equivalent
experience in electrical engineering or related field.
- Hardware design experience in analog, digital and mixed signal
- Experience with schematic design tools, PCB layout, FPGA
development systems and tools, simulation tools (Spice, Matlabs,
- Familiarity with C programming and microcontroller peripherals
such as SPI, I2C, and other various protocols. Experience working
with FW teams to drive and test and hardware requirements
- Understanding of high-speed signal integrity, EMC and other
typical regulatory requirements for low voltage electronics to
facilitate cohesive development with broader engineering team
- Proficiency on necessary test and measurement tools
(Oscilloscope, Logic Analyzer, spectrum analyzer)
- Demonstrated strong creative thinking and problem-solving
- Ability to dive deep into electrical first principles and work
in fast paced and challenging environments.
- Ability to collaborate and drive direction through
- Understanding of automotive requirements
- End-to-end product design/development from prototyping to mass
- Have a fine eye for detail, yet the ability to 'zoom out' and
see the big picture
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all
applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices
laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, national
origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender
expression, gender identity, genetic information or
characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic
partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or
any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is
accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability
or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with
Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the
search and application process, please email us at
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our
Candidate Privacy Notice.
Keywords: Rivian, Irvine , Senior Hardware Design Engineer, Other , Irvine, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!