Staff Data Engineer
Posted on: June 6, 2021
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever.
This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we
build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what's possible, never
simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old
problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that
are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a
love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern
California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo
Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as
a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
The Information Technology org at Rivian is seeking a Staff Data
Engineer to join the Data Services team who can work with other
technical resources on cross-functional team and align with
business on requirements and implement scalable solutions on the
AWS Cloud Data Platform which is a critical component of the
enterprise data architecture and overall ecosystem.
In this role you will work with Supply Chain, Finance,
Engineering and Manufacturing teams, Product Management, and
Technology Partners to leverage best practices and reference
architectures highlighting AWS Cloud Data Platform as a core
technology enabling advanced analytics and data science throughout
- Design and develop secure, scalable, high-performance and
reliable (cost effective) big data and analytics solutions that
enable tableau dashboards and reports for cross-functional teams
- Use Data & Analytics to answer business questions that leady to
insights and actionable outcomes.
- Understand and deploy processes for: SDC, CI/CD, quality
checks, error handling, error notifications, security,
extensibility and maintainability of big data and analytics
platform software and services
- Define templates and process for the analysis of data models,
data flows, and integration patterns for structural
deficiencies/soundness to build a robust and complete future state
- Lead by example to review code, look for code issues, provide
meaningful and relevant feedback to engineers, stay up to date with
system changes and latest technologies
- Comfortably present and acquire consensus using multiple
methods: Written diagrams and text, in-person meetings, in-person
and remote presentations to both technical and business
- Establish technical partnerships with data
scientists/engineers, and product owners/managers through
brainstorming sessions, design reviews, and retrospectives.
- Own the data management technical roadmap and execution
aligning with peer platform organizations and product delivery,
Ensure alignment with over-arching enterprise platform
- Spread the data culture across the company by enabling best
practices, standards, governed processes and relevant technologies
in the Data platforms.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the
ability to break down complex technical problems into simple
elegant solutions understandable by non-technical business
- 8-12 years of hands-on IT experience in Data Warehouse, ETL &
Reporting. Extensive experience of executing multiple data
warehouse projects in variety of business domain
- 8+ years of experience in understanding variety of complex
business use cases and modelling the data in the data warehouse.
Very strong understanding of core data warehouse concepts.
- 8+ years of hands-on experience in productionizing and
deploying Big Data platforms and applications, current experience
working with: Relational/SQL, distributed columnar data
- 8+ years of deep experience using S3, Python, SQL (Redshift)
- Strong understanding of AWS Services like S3, Glue, Kinesis,
Lambdas and Step functions.
- Strong experience in R or similar technologies with a
background in data science a plus.
- Hands-on experience with Airflow, Alteryx and Tableau.
(Certification is a plus)
- Familiarity with graph databases, timeseries databases, NiFi,
Spark streaming, Kafka, Hive, Impala, Avro, and more is a
- Strong understanding of Supply Chain and Financials business
processes like Order Bookings, Invoicing/Billings, Forecasting,
Demand Planning, Financial Planning. Purchasing, Payables,
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all
applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices
laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, national
origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender
expression, gender identity, genetic information or
characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic
partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or
any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is
accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability
or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with
Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the
search and application process, please email us at
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our
Candidate Privacy Notice.
Keywords: Rivian, Irvine , Staff Data Engineer, Other , Irvine, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!