[ENGINEERING] Sr. Engineer, Controls
Company: Masimo Corporation
Posted on: June 6, 2021
Masimo (NASDAQ: MASI) headquartered in Irvine, California, is a
fast-growing and award-winning international medical technology and
device company with operations spanning the globe. We develop
innovative, noninvasive monitoring technologies that save, extend
and improve the lives of people of all ages, in all walks of life.
These revolutionary technologies are helping to solve "unsolvable"
problems that have plagued the healthcare industry, while taking
the pain and discomfort out of blood monitoring. For more than 25
years, innovation has been and will continue to be our passion.
To learn more about us, please visit: www.masimo.com
As product design is becoming miniaturized and more
sophisticated, the automation controls engineer creates automated
solutions to assemble and test the company's product in a high
volume production environment. Integrating the latest technologies
and incorporating Industry 4.0 best practices to create a
Duties & Responsibilities
- Identify automation opportunities working closely with design,
manufacturing and process engineers to conceptualize solutions
- Manage the design, purchase, installation and validation of the
Company's custom automated solutions.
- Specifying, programming and troubleshooting of PLC/HMI's,
industrial communications, motion control systems including servo &
stepper motor control, pneumatic actuators, machine vision, robotic
systems, conveyors, etc.
- Design and implement error-proofed machine interface and UIs,
providing multiple levels of controls to be utilized by production,
maintenance and engineers.
- Design the processes and standards of data collection from
equipment, hardware selection, and implementation model for the
Industry 4.0 program
- Design Pilot/POC for new data collection technologies
- Generate PLC ladder logic with an emphasis on generating code
that is organized, structured, documented, maintainable, and
reusable using existing programming standards
- Generate equipment/project requirements in order to capture the
full design lifecycle of equipment to be deployed in a highly
- Implement reliable closed-loop communications to integrate
components utilizing Digital I/Os and network communications
- Generate, display and export standard equipment performance
metrics/reports in real-time
- Assist in risk assessments and implement safer solutions as per
Safety standards like ANSI/ RIA15.06, OSHA.
- Generate, modify, and approve industrial electrical control
panels which are NFPA79/NEC/UL508A compliant, and create electrical
and pneumatic schematics
- Select, size and integrate electrical and electromechanical
components such as servos, sensors, controllers, vision
systems/sensors, robots, etc.
- Provide feedback and experience in equipment design
- Retrofit controls on current deployed equipment to improve
safety and enable data collection
- Support maintenance and sustaining teams in troubleshooting
difficult equipment failures
- Participate in supplier and equipment buyoffs
- 3+ years of experience as a hands-on Automation & Control
Engineer or Robotics
- Engineer working on automation and/or electromechanical
- Has demonstrated proficiency in PLC and HMI programming,
troubleshooting, and configuration.
- Experience creating CAD packages and electrical schematics.
- SolidWorks electrical preferred
- Demonstrated ability to configure and troubleshoot industrial
network communications (Modbus, TCP/IP, Ethercat).
- Excellent understanding of control architecture, system
integration and motion controls applied in a manufacturing
- Ability to complete multiple projects within time and
- Ability to work in a team environment as well as an individual
- Excellent conceptual, analytical, and problem-solving
- Ability to communicate technically both orally and in
- With minimal supervision, demonstrated the ability to debug and
solve practical problems
- 7+ years of experience as a hands-on Automation & Control
- Robotics Engineer working on automation and/or
- Has successfully applied in-depth knowledge of Safety standards
(ANSI/ RIA15.06, OSHA) for safeguarding robots, gantries, conveyors
and other high volume manufacturing equipment in designs
- Has demonstrated excellence in programming PLCs. Must have a
well-defined methodology for maintaining code structure and
organization. Ability to program state machines for complex
processes which involve multi-station parallel processing, pick and
place automation, data acquisition, and PID control. Proven ability
to design fault-tolerant systems with error handling and
- Implemented SQL databases to store equipment data and
- Deployed control solutions and shown a deep understanding of
PLCs, Safety PLCs & HMIs like Proface, Opto 22, Banner, Allen
- Has successfully deployed Industrial or collaborative robots
into a manufacturing environment, including the programming,
backup, and restoration activities.
- Successfully deployed solutions utilizing machine vision
- Has demonstrated ability to configure and troubleshoot
industrial communication between devices. ModbusTCP, Ethernet/IP,
- In-depth knowledge of IoT, predictive maintenance, etc.
Optimization and debug of systems to maximize yield, availability
and cycle time
- Knowledge of SCADA systems through development, deployment and
- Basic experience with machine shop equipment, measuring tools &
gages, hand tools, etc.
- Has created successful solutions in a start-up environment, and
scaled-up for production
BS/MS in Electrical Engineering (or equivalent Engineering
Degree - Control Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering, Computer
Engineer, Mechanical Engineering.)
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
This position primarily works in an office environment. It
requires frequent sitting, standing and walking. Daily use of a
computer and other computing and digital devices is required. May
stand for extended periods when facilitating meetings or walking in
the facilities. Some local/ international travel is necessary (up
to 20%), so the ability to operate a motor vehicle and maintain a
valid Driver's license and passport is required.
The physical demands of the position described herein are
essential functions of the job and employees must be able to
successfully perform these tasks for extended periods. Reasonable
accommodations may be made for those individuals with real or
perceived disabilities to perform the essential functions of the
We are proud to offer if eligible a highly competitive
compensation plan with an excellent benefits package including 3
weeks vacation, stock options, 401k match, medical, dental, vision
plans and much more!
Masimo is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual
orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability,
protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by
applicable federal, state or local law.
- NO AGENCIES PLEASE* Thank you!
Keywords: Masimo Corporation, Irvine , [ENGINEERING] Sr. Engineer, Controls, Other , Irvine, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!