Lighting Designer - Open
Company: Tetra Tech, Inc.
Posted on: June 6, 2021
Tetra Tech's High Performance Buildings Group brings together
the expertise of talented engineers, commissioning agents, and
energy analysts from around the world. We offer high-end,
sustainable building consulting and MEP engineering services for
blue-chip clients across every building sector. Our services
include MEP design, Net Zero Energy, lighting design,
commissioning, vertical transportation, low voltage, information
technologies, security, fire engineering, sustainability
consulting, and acoustics. We are Better Together-Powered by
Glumac, A Tetra Tech Company, is a leader in Sustainable Design.
Our mission is to engineer and commission "green buildings that
We search for genuinely passionate people who thrive in
collaborative environments, care deeply about sustainability and
want to bring new engineering innovations to building projects. If
you also embrace accomplishing this with a diverse team of
passionate people, we encourage you to apply.
We are engineers for a sustainable future!
The Glumac Lighting Studio collaborates across all Glumac
offices on projects, working with many different clients and design
styles providing electrical lighting and day lighting designs to
clients at all levels of project participation from design assist
to full project design-bid-build involvement. Lighting Designers
come from lighting design and architectural backgrounds meaning our
projects not only fit the quantitative needs of projects but fit
the qualitative and aesthetic design goals.
Sustainable design is at the forefront of all of our lighting
design projects. The Glumac Lighting Design Studio takes a broad
approach to building performance encompassing occupant experience
and resource efficiency. We create aesthetically pleasing,
cost-effective and practical solutions that fit within the defined
budget. We prioritize the use of energy-efficient technologies and
applications, while scrutinizing emerging technologies before
Glumac lighting designers are members of the IESNA, IALD, are
LEED APs and Lighting Certified (LC) by the National Council on
Qualifications for Lighting Professionals. We offer expertise in
lighting design and in-depth coordination with other disciplines.
Along the way, our designers can provide expressive conceptual
sketches and renderings as well as detailed computer models
developing the necessary pieces of the design. Lighting designers
also coordinate mock-ups, on-site aiming, and controls programming.
We look for genuinely passionate people that can thrive in a
collaborative environment, care deeply about sustainability and are
not afraid of bringing new engineering innovations to building
- Responsible for electric lighting, daylighting and lighting
- Works with the design team to select appropriate light fixtures
for project with respect to cost, performance and aesthetics.
- Manage Clients, lighting project scope, design resources, and
deliverables to meet project budget.
- Produces renderings using pictures and software manipulation
tools to create conceptual lighting images.
- Hand sketches to show lighting intent, installation methods and
- Experience in luminaire construction, design, maintenance,
efficiency and optical characteristics.
- Experience with the basics of architecture, interior design and
landscape architecture and construction.
- Proficient in researching and articulating concepts with white
papers, reports, and memos.
- Prepares Energy Code Compliance documentation for the lighting
portions of the project.
- Strong verbal, written and graphic communication skills for
both internal and external clients.
- Client communication is critical to explain and direct lighting
designs with our architectural clients.
- Must constantly coordinate with the Project Manager.
- Prepares design layouts, fixture schedules, specifications, and
calculations with minimum supervision.
- Knowledge and understanding of the goals of sustainable design
criteria such as LEED, Living Building Challenge, WELL Building
Standards, and Biophilia.
- Knowledge in landscaping materials and outdoor environments
such as dirt, plants, paving systems, salt water/air, corrosive
chemical environments, etc., and how they will interact with all
- Understands and designs high demand spaces such as theatre,
sports facilities, high-end retail, etc.
- Understanding of the physiology and psychology of the human
visual system and designs using their understanding of how it
functions with lighting.
- Understanding of the details of every light source and its
benefits and drawbacks in almost any given situation.
- Attends national conferences and seminars ranging from electric
and daylighting design, to photobiology, to product innovation and
- Has a working knowledge of major light fixture manufacturers,
industry trends in lighting, and continues to grow and keeping up
to date in the field.
- Can perform daylighting design including running calculations,
shadow studies, considering thermal implications, glare, health
impacts, faade details, etc.
- Can balance aesthetic design, energy design, health,
psychological benefits, etc., as they relate to each individual
project, client, climate, etc.
- Strong comprehension of how lighting integrates with all trades
including MEP and architecture by understanding where the various
parts are placed and how they will interact and coordinate with
- Responsible for the lighting control intent and control
specifications in conjunction with project Electrical
- Organizes and facilitates mock-ups with Clients.
- Participates in the quality control review of fellow designers
- Nurtures existing Client relationships and proactively pursues
opportunities for new business.
Relationship to Others
- Works directly with various project engineers, per
- Works closely with drafting staff and electrical designers
assigned to the project.
- Has a strong relationship to the client, and leads the lighting
- Keeps current with lighting representatives to know what
products are emerging, existing, industry trends, etc.
- Shares knowledge with others by serving as a constant
contributor to the Studio, a trainer, a mentor, and a
- Has at least 5-10 years in lighting design.
- Design degree or equivalent in design experience.
- Lighting Certification preferred.
- Expertise utilizing Revit and AutoCAD programs.
- Strong Working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- LEED accreditation preferred.
- Strong prioritization and time-management skills.
- Knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop, and AGI32
- Experience in the construction industry and/or in-depth
knowledge of construction processes.
About Tetra Tech
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of high-end consulting and
engineering services for projects worldwide. We combine the
resources of a global, multibillion-dollar company with local,
client-focused delivery in more than 400 locations around the
world. We are Leading with Science to provide sustainable and
resilient solutions for our clients.
At Tetra Tech, we provide a collaborative environment that
supports individual performance, innovation, and creativity. We are
proud to offer competitive compensation and benefits. Learn more by
For more information on our company, please visit our website at
www.glumac.com or www.tetratech.com. To apply, please submit your
resume and cover letter on the Careers portion of our website at
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those
selected for an interview will be contacted. Tetra Tech is
committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an
Equal Opportunity Employer. We invite resumes from all interested
parties, including but not limited to, women, minorities, veterans
and persons with disabilities.
Tetra Tech is a VEVRAA federal contractor and we request
priority referral of veterans for available positions.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability - No calls or agencies.
Keywords: Tetra Tech, Inc., Irvine , Lighting Designer - Open, Other , Irvine, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!