Senior Applied Scientist
Company: Amazon.com, Inc.
Posted on: June 6, 2021
Want to work in a start-up environment with the resources of
Amazon behind you? This is your chance to revolutionize
visuals-first shopping for millions of customers worldwide while
working with industry-leading technologies. We're building a brand
new team in sunny Irvine, California and are looking for a
passionate and talented Senior Applied Scientist to drive applied
science (machine learning) projects end-to-end from ideation to
production. If you are a self-starter, passionate about machine
learning, big data systems, enjoy designing and implementing new
features and machine learned models, and intrigued by ambiguous
problems, look no further.
We're building a new team in Irvine to map the world's images to
the Amazon catalog. Our tech will enable customers to discover and
shop Amazon for similar or related items to any image in their
browser or supported mobile app, and enable influencers, curators
and publishers to create shoppable photos on Amazon in seconds.
We're part of Amazon's Personalization organization, which is a
high-performing group that leverages Amazon's expertise in machine
learning, big data, and distributed systems to deliver the best
shopping experiences for our customers. We work full stack, from
foundational backend systems to future-forward user interfaces. Our
culture is centered on rapid prototyping, rigorous experimentation,
and data-driven decision-making. Our work has revolutionized
e-commerce with features such as "Customers Who Bought Also Bought"
and "Recommended for You". We care deeply about our customers, as
well as the well-being and growth of our team members.
About the role:
As a Senior Applied Scientist on the team you will:
- Take a leading role in defining the problem, innovating the
ML/AI solutions and driving the science roadmap.
- Join a new and growing team of top-notch technical
professionals innovating in a fast-paced, startup environment.
- Be a key driver of a cross-functional team, working closely
with scientists and engineers in a daily basis.
- Innovate machine learning solutions on behalf of our customers
by prototyping, delivering functional proofs of concept (POCs), and
partnering with our engineers to productize and scale successful
You're an experienced Senior Applied Scientist looking for your
next opportunity to innovate, build, deliver, and impress. You want
to lead projects that require innovative thinking and deep
technical problem solving skills to create production-ready machine
learning solutions. You will need to be entrepreneurial, wear many
hats, and work in a highly collaborative environment. We like to
move fast, experiment, iterate and then scale quickly, thoughtfully
balancing speed and quality.
- PhD degree with 4 years of applied research experience or a
Masters degree and 6+ years of experience of applied research
- 3+ years of experience in building machine learning models for
- Experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related
- Proven success in applying Machine Learning models to practical
- Professional experience in software development: Python, Java,
- Experience working with AWS technologies such include S3, EC2,
RDS, Redshift, etc.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the
ability to present complex technical information in a clear and
concise manner to a variety of audiences.
- Sharp analytical abilities, great sense of ownership, urgency,
- A strong sense of curiosity, and a passion for innovation and
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced
- Experience in a startup environment.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon
is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the
basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual
orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other
legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who
would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Keywords: Amazon.com, Inc., Irvine , Senior Applied Scientist, Other , Irvine, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!