CLINICAL NURSE I - HOI-MED SURG JOINT (Irvine, CA, US)
Company: Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian
Posted on: May 3, 2021
The Registered Nurse provides nursing care in accordance with
the Nurse Practice Act, incorporates critical care modalities and
utilizes the nursing process based on evidence based outcomes to
meet patient care needs. The patient population served is the
adult and geriatric patient with orthopedic/musculoskeletal
disorders. The primary responsibility of the nursing staff is to
provide direct patient care and to collaborate with other
disciplines of the health care team to ensure the delivery of safe,
timely and appropriate quality patient care.
Participates in maintaining a safe patient care
environment. Demonstrates leadership skills by directing
personnel and establishing collegial relationships with
others. Demonstrates competence and sensitivity in caring for
multicultural patient/families by adapting the Plan of Care based
on cultural needs identified. Follows evidence-based clinical
standards when formulating the patient Plan of Care problem
list. Demonstrates ability to work in a multicultural team
environment and is respectful of the cultural diversity of the
workforce and the patients we serve.
Projects an image of professionalism in communication,
appearance and conduct. Supports the mission of the Patient
Care Services Division. Participates in the continuous
quality improvement process. Maintains a working knowledge of
departmental and hospital standards, policies and procedures.
Performs other duties as assigned.?
- Demonstrates competent knowledge, based on hospital policies,
procedures and standards, in the care of the patients with
- Demonstrates an ability to organize and incorporate new
routines, procedures and skills.
- Demonstrates skill in the use of equipment and devices
pertinent to treatment, procedures and practices.
- Demonstrates the use of the nursing process as documented on
the admission assessment, patient Plan of Care, focus charting and
- Assesses and documents a complete physical assessment, nursing
interventions, teaching and discharge needs for the patients
assigned to each shift.
- Documents in the patient record utilizing documentation
guidelines, Standards of Care and Pathway goals.
- Communicates changes in the patient's condition to the Charge
Nurse/supervisor and the physician directing the care of the
patient as well as pertinent information at shift report using the
patient Plan of Care.
- Follows procedure in the identification of patients prior to
implementing any procedures, interventions, etc.
- Provides appropriate information for all patient procedures and
ensures patient/significant other understanding prior to start of
- Responds to emergency situations in a timeframe appropriate to
the needs of the patient.
- Administers medications and intravenous therapy with the
ability to assess the indication appropriate dosing and effects of
the medication administered for the patient.
- Initiates IV therapy and documents accurate information on the
- Correctly collects, handles, and labels specimens utilizing
Standard Precautions, as well as documenting in the patient
- Demonstrates understanding and performs the following patient
care tasks: gait training, transfer and ADL training under the
direct supervision and direction of a Physical or Occupational
- Demonstrates annual competency for all required clinical
competencies including EKG interpretation.
- Adheres to Infection Control policies and procedures, follows
Standard Precautions and specific isolation precautions for the
prevention and spread of bloodborne pathogens and other
- Appropriately assesses and implements prescribed interventions
to ensure pain management for the patient.
- Recognizes that ethical/legal/medical dilemmas exist in the
nursing practice and confers with the appropriate resource
personnel when making ethical nursing decisions.
- Implements and documents teaching discharge plan for each
- Assesses the educational ability and level for the patient
population. Incorporates available educational material into
patient/significant other teaching and documents understanding in
- Provides ongoing assessment of the nutritional status for the
patient. Implements dietary consult when indicated to
provide/maintain adequate nutritional intake. Communicates to
physician nutritional needs/problems for the patient.
- Provides continuity of care through implementation/utilization
of the Plan of Care for the patients
- Appropriately assesses, intervenes and cares for the
adult/geriatric patient, family and significant other requiring
emotional support, coping support and care for significant life
changes and end of life issues. Coordinates support services
with Social Services, Case Management, etc.
- Clinical Care: Ensure patient care is delivered and the
unit is maintained in accordance with professional regulatory
standards. Demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to
provide care appropriate population as outlined in the job
description and competencies
- Demonstrates competent knowledge, based on department policies,
procedures and standards, in the following:
- Use of specialized equipment for orthopedic patient care.
- Demonstrates Clinical competence in identification, assessment
and intervention for orthopedic patients.
- Caring for the adult/geriatric patient incorporating age
specific assessment data in the development of an individualized
Plan of Care.
- Providing safe and appropriate care for the orthopedic
- Able to identify and appropriately intervene for problems or
changes in patient condition.
Education, Training and Experience
Required: Successful completion of an ECG course or
Preferred: Experience in the specialty of Orthopedics.
Skills or Other Qualifications
Required: Demonstrates effective communication,
interpersonal skills, organizational ability, knowledge of proper
body mechanics, safety measures and infection control, ability to
follow instructions, knowledge of age of population served, and
additional skills and knowledge of equipment may be required for
hire into some patient care departments.
License and Certifications
Required: Current licensure in good standing, or interim
permit as a Registered Nurse in the State of California required.
Current BLS and ACLS certification is required prior to clinical
Preferred: Orthopedic Nurse Certification.
Keywords: Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian, Irvine , CLINICAL NURSE I - HOI-MED SURG JOINT (Irvine, CA, US), Other , Irvine, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!