• Reliability is at the core of Electric Adventure Vehicles. As
a Staff Engineer in the Failure Analysis team, you will play a key
role in generating insight through failure analysis for all Rivian
products from the vehicle to component level.
• Perform deep dive failure analysis investigations,
specializing in the entire vehicle’s electrical systems.
• Be one of the founding members of the Failure Analysis lab in
Rivian and own the acquisition of the specialist electrical
analysis equipment required to fully equip the failure analysis lab
for electrical and battery cell failure analysis.
• Collaborate with existing engineering teams (e.g. power
conversion, power train, battery cell, materials development, etc.)
to help define the needs for electrical and battery specific
• Be the Failure Analysis team subject matter expert in PCB
• Mentor and train junior electrical engineer(s) in the field of
electrical failure analysis.
• Facilitate and lead failure analysis activities for incidents
originating from reliability testing for new product development
and from fielded systems. Assure that root cause is identified at
the most detailed level.
• Lead the creation of failure analysis reports with exceptional
visualizations and direct the communication and presentation of
findings to project teams.
• Collaborate with reliability engineering and testing to
recreate failure modes that are intermittent or hard to replicate.
Utilize environmental testing equipment, HALT and other methods to
be able to precipitate failures as a precursor to in depth failure
• Create a workflow from HALT failures into failure analysis and
provide expert input on root cause, its relevance to the field and
the best path in terms of addressing the finding with the design
• Create strong partnerships with design, manufacturing,
quality, and other teams at Rivian to drive Failure Analysis
services within the company.
• Lead executive reviews related to failure analysis
THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
In-depth knowledge of electrical failure modes:
• Experience with low voltage PCBA failure analysis, including
failure isolation, and both non-destructive and destructive failure
analysis techniques is required.
• Experience with high voltage electrical failures in components
such as power inverters and other drivetrain components is
• Experience in detailed battery cell characterization failure
analysis techniques is highly desirable.
• Familiarity with various rechargeable lithium-ion battery
chemistries is highly desirable.
Knowledge and hands on experience with non-destructive failure
analysis techniques such as:
• Electrical probing and failure verification & isolation and
• Battery characterization techniques such as capacity testing,
voltammetry, and impedance spectroscopy.
• X-Ray inspection – both 2D X-ray and 3D CT scanning.
• Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR).
Knowledge and hands on experience with destructive failure
analysis techniques such as:
• Mechanical cross sectioning and polishing / etching.
• Focused Ion Beam (FIB) cross sectional analysis
• Wire Bond Pull/Shear Testing
• Battery cell/pack disassembly
• Mechanical Testing (Shock, drop, and vibration)
• Environmental Testing (Thermal Cycling and Temperature
Humidity Bias Testing)
Hands on experience with equipment such as:
• Basic meters, microscopes, cross sectioning equipment, power
supplies & signal generators, oscilloscopes, SAM, high mag
microscope, decapsulating chemicals, CT, 2D X-ray, SEM/EDS,
• Experience working on failure modes of complex
• Deep understanding of fundamental failure mechanism
• Master of Science in EE, Physics, Materials Science. PhD
• Experience leading a variety of failure analysis projects,
including specifically board level electronics and high voltage
component FA. Battery FA experience in addition is highly
• Experience with specifying and procuring electrical and
battery cell Failure Analysis equipment is highly desirable, and
working knowledge of all of this equipment is a requirement.
• Experience in the automotive industry is a big plus.
• Electrical design and CAD experience is a big plus.
• Experience managing junior engineers and technicians is a
• A desire to create a respectful, fun, inclusive and inspiring
team and company culture is a must!
THIS IS WHERE YOU’LL WORK:
Location: Irvine, CA
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever.
This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we
build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never
simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old
problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that
are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a
love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and
Palo Alto, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing
facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits
Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to
the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and
to providing employees with a work environment free of
discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at
Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual
qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief,
family or parental status, or any other status protected by the
laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will
not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these
characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.