Advanced Development Engineer - Powertrain · Design of gearbox
and driveline manufacturing systems with the focus on design
criteria and processes related to manufacturing and assembly.
· Identify and evaluate 3D and 2D design for manufacturability,
cost, assembly and production methods
· Assists/advises Design Engineers as to the best possible
design for manufacturability to ensure product Quality and most
effective manufacturing methods
· Review and coordination of process documentation, including
process stack sheets, process routings, PFMEAs, process flow
diagrams, and error proofing plans.
· Perform research, design and development of manufacturing
processes including production flow, assembly methods and
· Specify and develop the end of line testing and other error
control system with supplier and internal team.
· Act as technical liaison between engineering and manufacturing
· Provide technical support to plant operations
· Development of cost estimates for new and major programs,
often working from early concept cross sections, concept drawings,
concurrent engineering discussions, and evolving assumptions
· Coordinate and participate in Virtual Build events and line
· Lead and coordinate production rebuild plan and method.
· Lead service and warranty plan and strategy
this is what you’ll need:
· Minimum 7 years of relevant experience required
· The ability to work effectively in a cross functional group
setting, including essential technical guidance to support Senior
· Expertise in the following areas: Machining of rotating
components, Casting and Machining of prismatic components such as
housings, Manufacturing and machining of gears and splines,
Assembly of transmissions/gearbox/axle or similar systems.
· An understanding of machine tool specifications, including the
ability to document this knowledge in RFQ packages and Best
Practice documents, and to participate in specification
· An understanding of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing and
how-to application functionally and for manufacturing
· Experience in implementation of major production launches
(entire production lines or plants)
· General understanding of materials and metallurgy and the
relation to machining methods.
· Experience in error proofing and implementation of end of line
testing systems in production applications
· Basic CAD knowledge, including ability to review designs
· An understanding of gearbox and driveline fundamentals
· Familiarity with QS and TS quality systems requirements
· An understanding of lean manufacturing concepts
· The ability to work independently, and to coach and mentor
· Willingness to travel, especially during times of peak
· Dynamic attitude with desire to learn and expand your
knowledge and capability
This is where you’ll work:
Location: Plymouth, MI
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever.
This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we
build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never
simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old
problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that
are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a
love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and
San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing
facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits
Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to
the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and
to providing employees with a work environment free of
discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at
Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual
qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief,
family or parental status, or any other status protected by the
laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will
not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these
characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.