Important Update: In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Kaiser
Permanente is moving to a virtual recruitment process including
telephone and video interviews to help ensure the health and safety
of our employees, candidates, and communities. Also, some hiring
activities may be delayed or suspended in certain geographic areas
and job categories. For more information on Kaiser Permanente’s
response to COVID-19, visit our Resource Center .
Ensuring Each Facility's Aesthetic and Success From maintaining
the aesthetic appearance of our grounds to driving environmental
services at our facilities to managing product inventory and
distribution, our facilities services and materials management team
members are vital to the daily upkeep of our medical centers and
Apprentice Engineer Submit Interest Location: Irvine, CA
Job Number: 888098 Date posted: 07/21/2020 Description: Under
the direct observation & guidance of a licensed Operating Engineer,
performs a variety of routine or skilled preventive maintenance
duties in the repair, alteration & modification of buildings,
equipment & facilities.
- Upholds Kaiser Permanente's Policies & Procedures, Principles
of Responsibilities & applicable state, federal & local laws.
- The below tasks are performed under the direct observation and
guidance of a licensed Operating Engineer.
- Inspects equipment & facilities for proper operation & working
condition; maintains routine records & determines type & extent of
any malfunction of equipment & as necessary; adjusts, disassembles
& repairs or replaces parts or components, reassembles & tests for
- Reports more serious problems to Operating Engineer and/or
Chief Engineer for instructions or maintenance scheduling.
- May attend to gas fired steam boilers, hot water boilers &
heaters; may make necessary adjustments to assure proper steam
pressure, combustion, water flow, water level & proper operation of
safety devices & auxiliary equipment.
- Tests boiler water & adds chemicals as necessary.
- May service & make repairs to heating, air conditioning &
refrigeration equipment including fans, motors, radiators,
thermostats, dampers & regulating controls; replaces filters &
fluids as necessary & maintains routine records of repairs.
- Performs a variety of general semi-skilled to skilled
maintenance, alteration & repairs to machinery, equipment or
facilities as assigned or in accordance w/ basic skills &
abilities; & standard procedures, diagrams or manufacturer
- Performs routine electrical maintenance, replacement or
alteration of circuit wiring, switches, control equipment &
mechanisms, motors, transformers, relays, generators, appliances,
fixtures, alarms, communication equipment, etc.
- Performs general mechanical maintenance of hospital and clinic
equipment, kitchen equipment, office machines & equipment, etc.
- Normally excludes specialized & highly technical x-ray &
surgical equipment requiring specific training, experience &
- Performs general plumbing maintenance - Maintain, repair &
make alterations to steam, gas, water, air & sanitary plumbing
pipes & fixtures.
- Bend, cut, ream & thread pipe, wipe joints, test joints & pipe
systems for leaks.
- Repair leaks & clear drain stoppages.
- General welding - cutting, joining metals not requiring
critical test tolerance or certification.
- Performs a variety of routine maintenance duties such as
repair & assemble extension cords, replace fuses, fluorescent
ballast's & tubes, clean & lubricate motors & other machinery.
- Clean sink & grease traps, replace & re-pack valves, assemble
equipment, repair drape pull mechanisms & related items.
- Performs a variety of routine manual duties as required, such
as moving supplies, furniture, equipment, removing trash, scrap
material & replacing light bulbs, etc.
- Establishes & maintains courteous, cooperative relations when
interacting w/ other personnel, Health Plan members & the
- Performs other related duties as required.
- One (1) year experience w/ Kaiser Permanente in the
engineering field operations (this requirement may be waived w/
agreement from Local 501).
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Completion of required apprentice test & acceptance into the
state sponsored apprenticeship program.
- Valid California driver's license.
- Basic skills w/ hand tools, motorized equipment, general
- Repair skills w/ Electrical, HVAC, Plumbing & Boiler Systems
- Note: This information may vary by each Apprenticeship
opportunity & in accordance with Local 501, candidate selected may
be reclassified into an Apprentice Engineer if it is an internal
transfer. Primary Location: California,Irvine,Central Utility Plant
6660 Alton Pkwy. Scheduled Weekly Hours: 40 Shift: Day Workdays:
Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu Working Hours Start: 6:30 AM Working Hours
End: 3:00 PM Job Schedule: Full-time Job Type: Standard Employee
Status: Regular Employee Group/Union Affiliation: IUOE - Local 501
Job Level: Entry Level Job Category: Facilities Services
Department: Plant Operations Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time Kaiser
Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse
and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including
pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital
status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity,
veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing
characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen.
Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be
considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and
state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but
not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance
Click here for additional requirements >
About Facilities Services & Materials Management Careers See
What People are Saying About Working at KP Our Events Come
introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an
upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting
you in person.
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.
Join Kaiser Permanente's Talent Network Please fill out the
fields below and click "Join Now" to receive information about
opportunities that relate to your selections.
Enter First Name
Enter Last Name
Search for a category and select one from the list of
suggestions. Search for a location and select one from the list of
suggestions. Finally, click “Add” to create your job alert.
Select Job Location*
By submitting your information, you acknowledge that you have
from Kaiser Permanente.