Engineering and Programs – Energy Storage
· Characterize safety characteristics of cells and coordinate
with other internal/external groups on safety characterization of
· Analyze DFMEA of the cell, pack and module to understand the
failure possibility and design of experiment accordingly to
characterize safety aspects.
· Develop test plan and execute tests for abuse cases.
· Analyze testing data, draw conclusion and make concise
report/summary and present it; Make recommendation to
improve/mitigate the risks.
· Work with engineers and technicians to develop proper test
fixture to access safety properties of the cells.
· Working closely with cell engineers to characterize electrical
properties of cells, module and pack.
· Keep safety standards up to date.
· Develop Rivian own safety testing procedure and safety
This is what you’ll need:
· PhD in chemistry/chemical engineering or materials science
with more than 5 years working on lithium ion batteries in
academia/industrial. Preferred PhD with postdoc or industrial
· Strong knowledge on safety regulations of different
organizations/countries, experience on building/acquiring equipment
and running safety tests.
· Familiar with operation conditions of EV batteries, experience
of converting them into thermal and mechanical reliability test
requirements, design test matrixes and carry out tests.
· Deep understanding on FMEA (DFMEA and PFMEA) related to safety
and reliability failures and hands on skills in FA.
· Familiar with module and pack structure so that can enforce
safety protections (electrical, mechanical and thermal) for battery
cells in pack / modules design.
· Problem solving skills, think outside of the box.
· Desire to work in fast-paced environment.
· Passionate about safety aspect of cell/module/pack. Willing to
make extra effort to get the job done.
· Hands-on; experience in set up experiments, basic knowledge of
maintaining safety test equipment.
· CAD experience in software, like Solidworks and CATIA is a
Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever.
This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we
build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never
simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old
problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that
are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a
love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future
We operate development centers in Plymouth, MI, Irvine CA and
San Jose, CA, and Surrey, England, as well as a manufacturing
facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits
Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to
the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and
to providing employees with a work environment free of
discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at
Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual
qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief,
family or parental status, or any other status protected by the
laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will
not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these
characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.