Posted on: December 4, 2019
Data Scientist - Acorns
At Acorns, we're building a financial wellness system that enables
everyday Americans to save and invest every day. We are
transforming the category and recruiting a team that is relentless
at fulfilling our mission. The Acorns team comes together every day
to deliver a revolutionary product to its customers, the
up-and-coming. If you thrive in an environment where you can push
yourself beyond all previous thresholds of possibility, come join
us at Acorns.
Acorns is actively seeking a highly self-motivated,
detail-oriented, and solution-focused Data Scientist. This position
will reside in the Data Science group, which serves as the central
data science team for the company. The team is responsible for
developing and using state-of-the-art mathematical modeling, data
mining, and machine learning techniques to be agents for good by
helping look after the financial best interests of the
The Acorns Data Science group is obsessed with solving hard
problems that directly affect customers, including recommendation
engines, fraud prevention, and customer intention inference. But
these aren't Kaggle-type problems; we operate fast and often with
imperfect data. We focus on impact - we innovate and put the models
into production quickly. We know that solving problems with data is
an art and a science. Data Scientists at Acorns are as good at
communicating and collaborating as they are at building models and
At Acorns, Data Scientists have broad latitude around data and you
will work across functional teams including Analytics, Engineering,
Product Management, Marketing, Operations, and Business
Development, and will play a key role in shaping the technology and
product directions of the company.
Within 1 month, you will:
- Understand the Acorns products, data warehouse, and how data
fits into the products.
- Discover new opportunities to apply data science concepts to
the portfolio of products.
- Present findings to the Data Science team members.
- Interact with multiple teams.
Within 3 months, you will:
- Have established architecture and implementation for an
intelligence-driven product feature in a data-rich
- Have complete ownership of a data science product and made
production quality code commits into the team's
- Contribute to the broader team's success by offering ideas and
constructive feedback to other team member's projects.
- Propose novel ML research directions that will eventually power
Within 6 months, you will:
- Work independently and closely with the Product Management team
to plan projects and recommend areas for the next generation of
- Work independently and closely with Engineering teams to
deliver data science solutions into the product with proper API
- Build an identity within the company and can independently
represent the Data Science team with other departments.
What you will bring to Acorns:
- A team player that is enthusiastic, self-motivated,
detail-oriented, and solution-focused.
- Empathy with our customers' financial situations and the desire
to help our customers in need of personalized products and
- Uphold the values of transparency, honesty, and unconditional
support for the team.
- Define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid
conclusions, and make recommendations for continuous
- An ability to explain complex problems in a simple
- Capability to build algorithms that touch the cutting edge of
statistics and machine learning.
- Apply state of the art machine learning, statistics or data
mining in a variety of areas, including user analysis and data
- Develop scalable and efficient methods for large scale data
analysis and model development.
- Derive pride from technical excellence, and pursue excellence
in all areas of work.
- Hunger for impact, drive to learn fast, be creative, and win as
- BS in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Physics,
Engineering or a related field, or equivalent experience.
- 2-3+ years experience in working with noisy real world
structured and semi-structured data.
- Expert in Python or Scala, with related statistical and machine
- Background in NLP, data mining, machine learning, statistical
analysis, and modeling, with experience deploying models in a
- Experience with A/B testing methodologies and
- Strong SQL abilities and experience with massive relational
- Able to take a complex, ambiguous topic and turn it into a
rigorously defined and well-formulated problem that answers the
business question we are trying to solve.
- Excellent communication skills to explain your results and
solution to the stakeholders in a clear and compelling way.
- MS or PhD in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science,
Physics, Engineering or a related field.
- Patent, publication, or conference presentation in an AI or ML
- Has written production quality, version controlled
- Experience considering user psychology and user
- Experience with Databricks, Spark, AWS, Airflow, Kafka or
- Knowledge of basic macroeconomic concepts.
- Thirst for delivering game-changing products.
- Exceptional drive and precision in delivery.
- A belief that your work is tied to your life's
- Optimistic about the potential of societal change.
What we offer:
- Competitive salary and stock options.
- A comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of you and
- Flexible paid time off.
- Corporate gym access.
- Daily breakfast, weekly team lunches, and an endless supply of
- Numerous career possibilities that allow you to grow with
- Talented and motivated team members who care deeply about one
another, our mission and our customers.
- The rare opportunity to create a new world. We inspire one
another every day to do meaningful work that solves big societal
Acorns is the leading micro-investing app in the U.S. It allows
users to round up their daily purchases and automatically Invest
the Change-- into a low-cost, diversified portfolio of
exchange-traded funds offered by some of the world's top asset
managers (including Vanguard and BlackRock). Founded in Newport
Beach, Calif., by father and son team Walter and Jeff Cruttenden,
Acorns provides a simple entry-point using the Acorns app on iPhone
or Android. Customers accumulate fractional shares in one of five
portfolios constructed by world-renowned Nobel Laureate economist
Dr. Harry Markowitz. Acorns' smart portfolio algorithms
automatically work in the background of life, helping users build
wealth naturally, pennies at a time. From Acorns mighty oaks do
With benevolence and courage, we look after the financial best
interests of the up-and-coming; beginning with the empowering step
- Lead with heart
- Make bold decisions
- Always build trust
- Never stop growing
- Find a way
Keywords: Acorns, Irvine , Data Scientist, Other , Irvine, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!