Senior Threat Monitoring Analyst
Posted on: October 8, 2018
What you'll be doing... The Threat Monitoring (TM) team is considered the front-line of defense for Verizon's networks and computing environment. The Threat Monitoring Analyst is considered a crucial role in the defense of Verizon's networks and computing environment. Monitoring and analysis of potential and active threats targeting Verizon defines this role. Analysts must be agile, willing to learn, and think outside of the box in order to operate effectively in an ever changing threat landscape. This senior level position provides an opportunity to work in a fast paced collaborative environment defending Verizon from current and future cyber threats. Senior analysts are also considered thought leaders, and must be willing to mentor and advise others, and drive the operational and strategic growth of the organization. Shift work will be required and shift assignments will be based on business needs. Responsibilities for the Senior Threat Monitoring Analyst of the Verizon Threat Management Center (TMC) - Threat Monitoring Team: Performs all duties of a Threat Monitoring Analyst, including:
- Monitors and analyzes logs and alerts from a variety of different technologies across multiple platforms in order to identify and mitigate security incidents affecting the Verizon enterprise. This includes analysis of logs from:
- Anti-virus and end-point protection
- Servers and workstations
- DHCP, DNS and other network technologies
- Other security technologies and devices
- Assess the security impact of security alerts and traffic anomalies to be able to gather a broad view of the overall risk profile of the enterprise Executes analysis of email based threats
- Leverage proficient understanding Operating Systems and their architectures (Windows, Unix/Linux, and OSX) in support of identifying security incidents and to have a proper overview of risk profile
- Utilize and adhere to defined workflow and processes
- Analyze potential cyber threats from a variety of intakes taking appropriate response actions to include threat containment and/or escalation
- Process tactical mitigations based on results of analysis and determination of threat validity
- Utilize a variety of security tools and technologies to analyze potential threats to determine impact, scope, and recovery
- Executes automated malware analysis to determine initial threat impact and takes actions appropriately As a senior member of the team, you will also...
- Provides support and analysis for the most severe and visible security incidents
- Leverage Expert/SME knowledge in the usage of Network analysis tools and capabilities to support Cyber Incident Response activities in order to mitigate risk to the Verizon Enterprise
- Leverage cyber-attacks, indicators, and correlations to identify attribution and potential threat and impact to Verizon resources in support of mitigating overall risk
- Perform malware analysis and identification of Indicators of Compromise (IOCs) to evaluate incident scope and associated impact in support of identification of security incidents
- Identifies gaps and leads in implementation of new methods and technologies to sufficiently mitigate risk
- Provides recommendations to enhance and advance the defensive capabilities of the Threat Management Center (TMC) and its subsequent ability to defend the Verizon Enterprise
- Enhances techniques, workflows and processes to drive the Threat Monitoring team's operational and strategic growth (continuous improvement)
- Suggest usage of new tools
- Provide guidance to other team members
- Mentor and coaches other TM Analysts, on skills and techniques to ensure quality and consistency of analysis and documentation across TM
- Serves as a subject matter expert on advanced threat analysis to other team members
- Follow-up and follow through with commitments, exhibiting initiative
- Expected to work independent, after appropriate training
- Write technical articles for knowledge sharing What we're looking for... You'll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience
- Four or more years of relevant work experience
- Three years experience in a Security Operations Center (SOC) / Threat Monitoring environment
- Previous experience working with SIEM technologies (i.e. Splunk)
- Experience using, enhancing and developing new Threat Monitoring Procedures
- Demonstratable understanding of threats, attacks, logs, operating systems and security technology (firewalls, anti-malware, proxies, etc.) Even better if you have:
- Experience with large scope, high impact cyber breaches and advanced attack methods.
- Previous experience working in a Security Operations Center (SOC) with focus on Computer Network Defense (CND)
- Experience with malware analysis and identification of Indicators of Compromise (IOCs) to evaluate incident scope and associated impact
- Previous Information Assurance or Cyber Experience in the Telecommunications industry.
- Previous experience in Cyber Intelligence or related disciplines
- Deep knowledge and understanding of cyber risks and threats related to cyber attackers
- Deep knowledge of Enterprise Anti-Virus, IDS, Full Packet Capture and Host/Network Threat Analysis
- Understanding of Networking (including the OSI Model, TCP/IP, DNS, HTTP, SMTP), System Administration, and Security Architecture)
- Fundamentals of Mobile Platforms: Windows Phone, iOS, Android.
- Programing, scripting and experience with Regex
- Strong communication and presentation skills along with the ability to work in a highly collaborative environment
- Strong relationship skills and collaborative style to enable success across multiple partners.
- Manage multiple priorities in a high pressure environment.
- Effective organizational and technical skills
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Exhibit initiative, follow-up and follow through with commitments
- Certification (A+, Network+, Security+, CISSP, GSEC, GCED, GCIA, and GNFA) a plus 22CyberOPS #cybersecurityerp 22CyberOPS When you join Verizon... You'll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America's fastest and most reliable network, we're leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we're about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon. Equal Employment Opportunity We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences,including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Keywords: Verizon, Irvine , Senior Threat Monitoring Analyst, IT / Software / Systems , Irvine, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!