Posted on: September 13, 2018
Marriott International is the world's largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
Leads workgroups and/or functions as a technical expert. Resolves and makes decisions on more complex, non-routine service requests with limited to moderate risk. Performs research, analysis, design, creation and implementation of applications to meet current and future user requirements. Defines and creates the next generation of solutions to drive Marriott value. Monitors multiple projects by Service Provider to successful completion, maintaining scope within the time and budget constraints. Creates solutions that serve our business leveraging current and leading edge technologies in an innovative and impactful manner.
Works closely with business analysts and team members to understand business requirements that drive the analysis and design of quality technical solutions. These solutions must be aligned with business and IT strategies and comply with the origination's architectural standards.
Responsible for estimation, designing, coding, testing, implementing, maintaining and supporting application software. Makes recommendations towards the developing of new code or existing code. Has experience in systems analysis, design and an understanding of development, integration methodologies
Education and Experience
- 8+ years' experience in software development with expert level expertise in multiple programming languages and methodologies
- 5+ years hands-on experience with Java application development
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience/certification
- Excellent communication skills and problem solving ability
- Experience in development of hotel property applications
- Knowledge of property operations
- Technical certifications (Java, J2E, JBoss, etc.)
- Experience in waterfall and/or agile software methodologies
- Experience of JBOSS administration a plus.
- Graduate degree CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
- Technical expert who serves as an escalation point for application related changes from Project teams. Escalates to the IT Business Relationship Manager as needed.
- Serves as an escalation point for application requirements clarification relating to defects, enhancements and projects. Escalates to IT Business Relationship Manager as needed.
- Consults with architecture teams to identify when it is necessary to modify the technical architecture to accommodate infrastructure needs.
- Provides documents with a focus on how infrastructure services are leveraged in the solution architecture.
- Possesses advanced skills in working in a distributed team (shared development) environment, on-shore and off-shore teams.
- Ability to be resourceful, creative and maintain flexibility in product development.
- Participates in the evaluation and selection of infrastructure services products.
- Leads analysis of the current environment to detect critical deficiencies and recommends solutions for improvement.
- Installing and upgrading the Development database server and application tools
- Consults with project teams to identify when it is necessary to modify infrastructure services to accommodate project needs.
- Defines, designs, implements and promote standard configuration and change management, processes and practices
- Generating various reports by querying from database as per need
- Conducts research and reviews the design and implementation of infrastructure components to validate that they are standards based, high performing, highly available and secure in delivering the required business functionality.
- Introduces solutions that grow the bottom line and/or speed time to market. Technical Leadership
- Trains and/or mentors other team members, and peers as appropriate
- Identifies opportunities to enhance the service delivery processes.
- Provides leadership, oversight, governance and strategic direction related to the infrastructure services that are required to enable the delivery of IT services. Delivering Technology
- Develops technical solutions (included high/low level technical designs, specifications, and technology evaluations) using approved methodology.
- Works with the enterprise architect to support alignment of plans with what is being delivered.
- Development of new database tables, stored procedure, complex queries and deployment scripts.
- Identifies risks and issues for the Application Architect and provides input into a project's initiation, planning, status tracking, identification of risks and issues
- Communicates to the Application Architect and clarifies database related issues during the integration and testing phases of the project.
- Provide technical leadership to multiple project teams both on-shore and off-shore to implement database modifications in support of our application enhancement projects. Part of this work is reviewing code and suggesting changes to increase application efficiency by reviewing and optimizing code and improving database design features
- Taking ownership and working to resolve and diagnose database issues at the hotels.
- Subject matter expert for application related issues, application issues that may be linked to interaction with the application server, and other possible system issues.
- Application technical expert and possible point of contact for installations and upgrades.
- Reviews project requests with Application Architect, Development lead, PMO Lead, and Security teams.
- Assists Application Architect and Business Analysts with developing requirements to review functional requirements.
- Facilitates requirements gathering and clarification with other IT areas (Middleware, Network, QA, etc.)
- Serves as an escalation point for application related changes from Project teams. Escalates to the IT Business Relationship Manager, as needed.
- Serves as an escalation point for application requirements clarification relating to defects, enhancements and projects. Escalates to IT Business Relationship Manager, as needed.
- Performs more complex quantitative and qualitative analyses for service delivery processes and projects.
- Ensures all projects follow the defined development and business case processes
- Ensuring compliance and assisting with database vendor license agreement
- Provides consultation for routine and complex systems development
- Ensures early warning to the business stakeholder executives regarding degraded or missed service levels
- Coordinates with Operations and Infrastructure teams for deployment and production support activities IT Governance
- Follows all defined IR standards and processes (i.e. IT Governance, SM&G, Architecture, etc.), and provides input for improvements to the appropriate process owners as needed
- Maintains a proper balance between business and operational risk
- Follows the defined project management standards and processes
- Supports governance based on best practices and ensure proper alignment to projects and major initiatives Service Provider Management
- Makes short term plans for the team to effectively utilize resources
- Contacting vendors for technical support
- Ability to coordinate technical activities with various Marriott Development, IT and 3 rd party teams.
- Facilitates achievement of expected deliverables and obligations of Services Providers
- Validates completeness of requirements prior to Service Provider solutioning
- Monitors Service Provider outcomes
- Reviews estimates of work effort for client project provided by Service Providers for accuracy
- Facilitates timely resolution of service delivery problems and minimizes the impact to clients MANAGEMENT COMPETENCIES
- Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
- Leading Through Vision and Values - Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of employee decision making and action.
- Managing Change - Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its pace; serves as role model for how to handle change by maintaining composure and performance level under pressure or when experiencing challenges.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Strategy Development..... click apply for full job details
Keywords: Marriott, Irvine , Software Engineer-Senior, IT / Software / Systems , Irvine, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!