Aircraft Mechanical Engineer
Posted on: September 8, 2023
Location: Irvine, United States of America
Thales people architect solutions that enable two-thirds of planes
to take off and land safely. We create in-flight entertainment
systems that engross 50 million fliers every year and we develop
the avionics that control the world's largest commercial aircrafts.
Our simulators train the next generation of pilots for fighter
jets, transporters and search and rescue helicopters. And,
together, each and every member of our aerospace team makes a
This is an onsite position located in Irvine, CA.
Thales is looking for an Aircraft Mechanical Engineer to perform
aircraft installation engineering and participates in the design,
development, and integration of aircraft In-Flight Entertainment
and Connectivity Systems and components through engineering
analysis, research and design. The Engineer supports Type
Certificate (TC) or Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) program
developments and installations, as well as provides sustaining
engineering to airline Customers.
In this position, you will provide oversight of outside engineering
companies assisting in the development of system design and
aircraft integration of Thales In-Flight Entertainment systems.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Generate engineering modeling, fabrication drawing, assembly
drawing, and other required documentation for parts and assemblies
using appropriate CAD tools.
- Supports more senior Engineers in providing structural or
electrical analyses for current and future modifications dependent
- Supports development of STC amendment design data related to
reconfigurations, system upgrades, layout passenger arrangement
changes and equipment design evolution for existing operators of
the Thales InFlyt Experience IFE System or in support of new
- Complies with company, airworthiness, and quality requirements,
policies, and procedures.
- Supports and participates in internal and external design
reviews (ITCM, PDR, CDR, FAI, etc.). Installation/Integration
- Develop engineering design and processes for installing Thales
InFlyt Experience products onto a variety of airframes.
- Supports the overall design of the system and its installation
on the aircraft.
- Supports the creation of installation drawings and other
required documentation in support of Thales InFlyt Experience
product integration using appropriate CAD tools.
- Supports external integration engineering efforts.
- Create and revise work instructions to install Thales InFlyt
- Works in concert with the Certification Engineering team to
provide the Engineering design data to support a TC, STC, or STC
- Provides engineering support for Head of Version linefit or
prototype retrofit aircraft installations, initial launch
production installations to validate design package stability.
- Evaluates existing approved design data to incorporate into new
projects to reduce schedule and increase quality.
- The engineer supports senior engineers in providing a FAA
compliant package of documentation to allow the certification of
the installation. Program/Project Functions
- May support multiple programs simultaneously.
- May be program focal.
- Works within budget and schedule guidelines. System Engineering
- Gains a working knowledge of the complete Thales IFE System in
order to triage problems or customer requests.
- Gains a working knowledge of other systems integrating to the
Thales IFE System (OEM systems, third party connectivity system,
- Participates to the development of a monthly system reliability
reports and presentations.
- Presents ideas effectively to internal personnel.
- Can internally justify or explain the rationale for a process
or technical change.
- Can communicate with external parties (Airline Customers and
OEMs) with guidance and direction.
- Can communicate the following with approval to internal and
external parties as it pertains to Aircraft Engineering
deliverables: system requirements, schedule, changes to
product/design, and installation design. Other duties
- As assigned.
- As necessary. Financial Impact
- The position directly impacts sales, revenue, costs and
customer satisfaction. Minimum Requirements
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Aerospace, or
Aeronautics Engineering, or related discipline.
- Experience using 2D and 3D CAD required.
- Minimum 0-2 years of experience working with aircraft Original
Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) documentation, and an understanding of
aircraft structures and/or electrical systems.
- Ability to read and follow a Wiring Diagram.
- Valid Passport with the ability to travel in and out of the
- Work shifts and/or weekend schedule as required by workload,
programs, and contacts.
- Proven ability to comprehend functional operation, analyze
problems using logical deduction and empirical evaluations and
identify root cause and corrective actions.
- Have the ability to work effectively in a cross-functional team
to drive solutions.
- Experience in initiating and completing product changes using a
product life cycle management system.
- Ability to prepare detailed reports and presentations to
communicate technical information to stakeholders.
- Ability to multi-task and self-prioritize across a variety of
- Successful candidate will be expected to ramp-up quickly, take
ownership of tasks, and operate effectively and autonomously across
multiple entities, with only high-level technical direction.
- Be proficient using a computer, Microsoft Office Suite and
other office equipment.
- Have excellent interpersonal written and oral communication
skills with the ability to communicate technical issues in an
assertive and tactful manner.
- Have the ability to work in a remote team environment.
- Strong work ethic and drive to succeed with a strong sense of
accountability and integrity.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven, and
demanding atmosphere. Preferred Qualifications
- AutoCAD 2D proficiency.
- CREO 3D Modeling proficiency.
- Solidworks 3D Modeling experience.
- Previous aircraft modification and/or repair design experience
- Previous harness assembly design and harness routing experience
- Working knowledge of Boeing D6-36440.
- Working knowledge of Airbus ABD0100 (Part 0, 1, 2, 3) and
various Airbus Frame Specs./ Special Position Requirements
Physical Effort: Light physical effort required by handling objects
up to 20 pounds occasionally and/or up to 10 pounds frequently.
Work Environment: Normal office environment and air-conditioned
Secondary work environments may include occasional access to
aircraft hangars or warehouse facilities.
Travel: Up to 25%.
The anticipated TTC range for this role is $67,118.00 - $124,648.00
USD Annual The Company reserves the right to ultimately pay more or
less than the posted range and offer additional benefits and other
compensation, depending on circumstances not related to an
applicant's status protected by local, state, or federal law.
The Company provides an extensive benefits program for all
full-time employees working 30 or more hours per week and their
eligible dependents, including the following:
- Elective Health, Dental, Vision, FSA/HSA and Well-Being
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a company contribution and
a match, and without vesting period
- Company paid holidays, vacation days, and paid sick leave
- Company provided Life Insurance, AD&D, Disability, and
Employee Assistance Plan
This position will require successfully completing a post-offer
background check. Qualified candidates with [a] criminal history
will be considered and are not automatically disqualified,
consistent with federal law, state law, and local ordinances.
Successful applicant must comply with federal contractor vaccine
Thales champions inclusion and we believe diversity strengthens the
fabric of our culture. We are an equal opportunity/affirmative
action employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender
identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national
origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other
characteristic protected by law.
If you need an accommodation or assistance in order to apply for a
position with Thales, please contact us at
Keywords: Thales, Irvine , Aircraft Mechanical Engineer, Engineering , Irvine, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!