Senior Principal R&D Engineer - Advanced Research NPD
Company: Medtronic GmbH
Posted on: April 5, 2021
Senior Principal R&D Engineer - Advanced Research NPD This
position will primarily support the Advanced Research and New
Product Development activities for the Medtronic Neurovascular
division. As part of Research and Technology projects this position
will lead complex technology advancement projects including but not
limited to exploring and investigating new device concepts,
identifying and qualifying new materials, and new processing
methods/tools. With regards to the New Product Development this
position will lead the R&D efforts towards fulfillment of
R&D deliverables per PDP. The primary product and technology
categories supported will be for Intracranial large bore aspiration
catheters, micro catheters, balloon guide catheters and guide
wires. We seek out and hire a diverse workforce at every level: We
need fresh ideas and inclusive insights to continue to be an
innovative industry leader - that's why we make it a point to seek
out, attract and develop employees who are patient-centric,
passionate, and who represent the same wide variety of life
experiences as our patients. A Day in the Life
- Oversees Technology Research and New Product development PDP
projects from conception to finish
- Identifies technology and product concepts that contribute to
advancement of Neurovascular Treatments
- Act as the primary technical contact owning responsibility for
the maturation of advanced concepts / technologies and providing
subject matter expertise for ongoing commercialization-"full
- Works on unusually complex technical problems and provides
solutions which are highly innovative
- Works cross functionally with Process Development, Quality,
Regulatory, Marketing and Clinical
- Utilize a high level of self-motivation and hands-on skills to
simplify very complicated problems. Assignments are often
self-initiated; determines and pursues courses of action necessary
to obtain desired results
- Integrate new materials and new processes into research,
technology and product development
- Generate intellectual property and aid in the evaluation of
- Provide high-level technical input supporting submissions to
regulatory bodies and governmental agencies
- Travel required up to 20% (both domestic and international)
Examples of Essential Functions (Including but not limited to):
- Designs, develops, and refines new products.
- Reviews existing patents to determine infringement status.
- Provides technical expertise for development and investigation
- Schedules, coordinates and manages multiple projects.
- Leads the transfer of newly developed products and processes
from R&D to production.
- Determines, outlines, and interprets tests to verify product
integrity in the design phase.
- Supervises and directs Engineers and Technicians
- Implementing designs, performing and documenting test
- Develops and maintains association with outside organizations
and institutions pertinent to the interests and needs of the
department and the Company.
- Interfaces with physicians to understand specific needs and
- Identifies and coordinates animal studies. Receives Direction
- Vice President, Research & Development
- Director, R&D
- Project Managers, R&D Managers, PD Managers, Principal Dev.
Eng. Provides Direction To: Must Have: Minimum Requirements
Bachelors degree and 10+ years experience or an advanced degree and
8+ years Specialized Knowledge or Skills Preferred
- Proven professional demonstration of an aptitude for
inquisitive exploration of new technologic opportunity, a
willingness and ability to institute change, and
inter-organizational influence skills.
- Professional working experience with Medical device design and
manufacturing technologies and/or products.
- Expert knowledge in materials associated with medical devices
such as polymers (nylons, polyethylene, polypropylene, PEEK, Pebax,
PTFE, FEP, polycarbonate, etc.) metals (stainless steel, aluminum,
nitinol, etc.), ceramic, fiber, composites, etc.
- Expert knowledge in electro-mechanical rotary devices and their
integration into vascular devices.
- Expert knowledge of polymer extrusion processes and equipment
including medical polymeric materials, diameters ranging from 1.0 -
16 French, single and multi-lumen profiles, co-extrusion
applications, bump tubing, striping, etc.
- Coating materials and processing experience preferred.
- Knowledge of center-less grinding processes and equipment
preferred as applied to various wire and mandrel materials and
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills in order to interact with and
influence all levels of the business as well as clients and
- Expert level experience with Test Method development, protocol
generation, execution, and reporting
- Experience reading and interpreting patents
- Experience mentoring junior members of the technical staff
- GMP and ISO 9000 training
- Expert level knowledge of atherectomy devices
- Expert level knowledge of electro-mechanical catheter systems
and clinical background of the vascular system.
- Knowledge of equipment and tooling design
- Supervisory and motivational skills
- Project management associated with new
process/product/technology development and the successful transfer
- Process background (development, capability, optimization,
validation) within a regulated industry
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push
the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to
help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge
ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It
is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be. We want
to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful
innovations - but we will only succeed with the right people on our
team. Let's work together to address universal healthcare needs and
improve patients' lives. Help us shape the future. Physical Job
Requirements The physical demands described within the
Responsibilities section of this job description are representative
of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform
the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may
be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions. For Office Roles: While performing the duties
of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently
mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer,
and communicate with peers and co-workers. Contact your manager or
local HR to understand the Work Conditions and Physical
requirements that may be specific to each role. (ADA-United States
of America) It is the policy of Medtronic to provide equal
employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age,
color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental
disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital
status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or
any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
In addition, Medtronic will provide reasonable accommodations for
qualified individuals with disabilities. This employer participates
in the federal E-Verify program to confirm the identity and
employment authorization of all newly hired employees. For further
information about the E-Verify program, please click here .
Keywords: Medtronic GmbH, Irvine , Senior Principal R&D Engineer - Advanced Research NPD, Engineering , Irvine, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!