Principal Data Engineer
Company: Cox Automotive
Posted on: September 12, 2020
Primary Location: 195 Technology Dr, Irvine, CA, USA
Division: Cox Automotive
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Shift: Day Job
Requisition Number: 205877
ThePrincipal Data Engineer role is part of the Analytics team at
Cox Automotive Retail Consumer Solutions and is responsible for
creating and maintaining very high-quality business critical
datasets enabling Analytics teams and other peer team within the
Cox Automotive Retail Consumer Solutions to perform and scale their
This position reports to Director, Data Science Advertising Ops and
interacts with a variety of other internal teams (e.g., Data
Science/Data Analysts, Data Foundations, Data Visualization,
Marketing Technology and Ad Ops) to represent Analytics needs
(e.g., proper tagging, ingestion/integration of key data sources,
etc.) to ensure that downstream analytics and insights generation
processes are enabled.
- Responsible for creating and maintaining very high-quality
business critical datasets in Snowflake that the analytics
specialists can query for their analysis.
- Designs, develops and maintains reliable automated data
solutions based on the identification, collection and evaluation of
business requirements. Including but not limited to data models,
database objects, stored procedures and views.
- Builds tools that help data scientists and analysts work more
- Develops new and enhances existing data processing post the
initial Data Ingestion & Basic ETL Phases (Data Transformation,
Data Store, Data Management, Data Quality) components
- Creates and maintains analysis and dashboard friendly tables
providing data pipelining as a service to enable other analytics
professionals and stakeholders in the company.
- Creates advanced SQL queries and ensures they are optimized for
speed, efficiency and scale
- Provides development and oversite of data modeling and data
- Performs data cleansing and linking across multiple disparate
- Establishes a process for delivery of data and key metrics to
the analytics team
- Maintains an awareness of trends in the field; research and
suggest new methodologies to support efficiency and scale.
- Collaborates with Data Foundations team Data Engineers on
infrastructure projects, advocating for database architecture that
supports the Analytics function
- Coaches analysts on data engineering best practices
- Other duties as needed or required
- Bachelors Degree (B.S) or Masters Degree (preferred) in either
Information Systems, Computer Science oran equivalent combination
of education and work-related experience.
- 10+ years of related analytics data engineering experience.
- 2+ years with digital marketing & web analytics data
- Strong problem-solving skills with an emphasis on scaling
- Expert SQL experience is required
- Data wrangling and employing a variety of Big Data tools to
improve data reliability and quality
- Experience working in Snowflake or Apache Hadoop & Impala is
- Intermediate knowledge and experience with business
intelligence & data visualization systems (e.g. Microstrategy,
Microsoft Power BI, Google Data Studio and/or Tableau)
- Knowledge of web / digital analysis and related software
preferred (e.g., Adobe Analytics / Omniture and Google
- Strong communication skills, including experience in clearly
and effectively presenting to internal stakeholders.
- A drive to learn and master new technologies and
- Ability to consult and influence as a Subject Matter Expert for
the best outcomes to drive broad business successes.
- Ability to anticipate stakeholders needs and recognize the
opportunity to provide proactive insights to build tight thought
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to effectively
multi-task and prioritize in a deadline-driven atmosphere
- Experience successfully collaborating on complex analytics
projects involving a matrix of cross-functional teams
- Requires physical ability and mental acuity to execute the
duties of the position successfully within required timeframes in
order to meet business requirements.
Core Competencies Critical to Success in this Role:
- Drive for results
- Focus on customers
- Build relationships
Does this position have direct reports? NO YES If Yes, estimated
Reports to: Supervisor Manager Director/AVP level VP or above
Who We Are
About Cox Automotive
There's nothing ordinary about Cox Automotive. We are people of
every background driven by our passion for mobility, innovation,
client success and community outreach. We make buying, selling and
owning (or simply using) cars easier for everyone. Touching more
than 40,000 clients across five continents, we bring together the
best brands and the best teams to propel the automotive industry
forward. Some of those team members work for our iconic consumer
brands like Autotrader and Kelley Blue Book, while others are
creating the future of automotive at industry-facing brands like
Dealer.com, Manheim and vAuto.
We are the Cox family of businesses. We've been making our mark
since 1898 by building and evolving world-class businesses, staying
true to our values, and encouraging top talent to always look for
growth and impact while building a career with us. Our primary
divisions - Cox Communications and Cox Automotive - are driving a
new wave of innovation, powering smart cities with powerhouse
broadband communications and pioneering greener, more progressive
transportation alternatives for individuals and fleet operators.
We're also expanding into new spaces like cleantech and healthcare
to rev up our momentum toward building a better future for the next
generation. We're looking for the talent today who will be our
leaders tomorrow. Sound intriguing? Learn more about where we are
today, where we hope you'll be going with us, and the common
purpose that unites us at coxenterprises.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified
applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment
without regard to that individual's age, race, color, religion or
creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy),
sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental
disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity,
citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations:
Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally
engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our
applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or
send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or
charges associated with unsolicited resumes.
Keywords: Cox Automotive, Irvine , Principal Data Engineer, Engineering , Irvine, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!