Current College Students - Summer Assistant Instructor
Company: Galileo Camps
Posted on: March 16, 2019
Ready to learn the skills of exceptional educators in an amazingly fun summer job? Excited to sharpen your skills in specific subject matter? Love working with and having an impact on kids?
Through their role in the classroom, Assistant Instructors ignite a spark of learning for individual campers and small groups, helping to bring the Galileo Innovation Approach to life. Assistant Instructors are also often responsible for culture-building in the camp schedule, and spend much of their "work" time having a great time. Learn more about this role and working at Galileo in our jobs video gallery.
We value having divergent thinkers who bring various experiences and viewpoints to the table at Galileo. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented groups to apply.
Galileo's mission is to develop innovators who envision and create a better world. We know it's bold. We also know that we can't achieve it without asking staff to be role models of an innovator's mindset-visionary, courageous, collaborative, determined and reflective. It's not always easy. Camp staffers work hard. Very hard. You can expect days in which there's a ton to get done and not a ton of time to do it. But part of what makes our culture great is that no one is too proud to complete any task that needs doing. Our camp staffers bring camp magic to life-for campers, and for themselves.
This isn't your average summer recreation gig. Galileans are expected to take ownership of their own performance and make this place better every day. People with a can-do attitude thrive here and those with a victim mentality don't. We manage to keep this level of performance expectation high in a relaxed environment; we take our work, but not ourselves, seriously.
Being a Galilean means jumping into action to bring camp magic to life. Depending on the day, that could mean donning a tutu for a skit, creating a gorgeous sign that highlights the Galileo Innovation Approach, or playing a board game with two campers to build connection. You've got to know what it means to be a vital part of a team. You've got to want to grow. You've got to like to have fun at work. You have to smile-a lot-and you have to like to laugh. After all, we run summer camps. You get the point.
Position Description SHARED VALUES AND EXPECTATIONS
- Serve as an ambassador of Galileo, demonstrating our mission and values in a positive and professional manner and acting as a role model of the Galileo Innovator's Mindset
- Commit to building a safe, child-focused community
- Demonstrate professionalism and accountability
- Take the initiative to analyze and solve problems
- Treat others with courtesy and respect
- Respond to camper, family member and colleague needs
- Strengthen our relationship with host site by upholding facility policies and embracing host site employees as partners
- Maintain a high standard of ethics, integrity and confidentiality
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Become familiar with curriculum for majors/classes in which you will assist
- Assist Lead Instructors in delivering curriculum, learning skills necessary to be an effective and successful educator
- Provide leadership, energy and camp spirit, constantly assessing group dynamics and the needs of individual campers
- Set, work toward, and achieve measurable professional development goals
- Support camper check-in and check-out processes
- Provide excellent customer service to parents by communicating with them on a daily basis about their camper's experience
- Set, work toward and achieve measurable professional development goals
- Assist with daily set up and cleanup of camp and assist instructors with lesson preparation
- Support morning and afternoon extended care program including check in, check out, and leading camper activities
- Contribute to and participate in daily opening and closing ceremonies, all-camp activities, and snack & lunch supervision and programming
WORK HOURS AND DATES
The camp environment is demanding, requiring intense dedication and work ethic from each staff member. Depending on the time of summer or the specific week or day, the needs of camp and resulting staff hours may vary. We seek and make offers to staff who we believe are capable of thriving in this environment and contributing to camp's success.
GENERAL CAMP STAFF HOURS INFORMATION:
- Staff may work anytime between 7:30am and 6pm, Monday through Friday. Number of hours and start/finish time will vary by site, position and day
- Staff meetings: During regular work hours before or after the start of programming
- Before setup days begin, complete between 2-12 hours of online training
- Training and setup days: Participate in two mandatory training and setup days in the days before camp starts
- Camp cleanup: Participate in cleaning and packing up camp for an additional 5-10 hours, typically an extra 1-2 hours at the end of each day during the final week of camp. On the last day of camp all staff stay on site until cleanup is complete, which will be 6pm at the earliest
POSITION-SPECIFIC HOURS INFORMATION:
The camp day runs, on average, 8-9 hours for Assistant Instructors. Assistant Instructors typically work 7:45am-4:15pm, with some Assistant Instructors also working Extended Care hours until as late as 6pm.
General supervision, ongoing observation and evaluation is provided by your Camp Director.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Some lifting and carrying up to 60 lbs.
- Typing, writing, reading
- Seeing, hearing and speaking, both nearby and at a distance
- Use hand and fingers to help with classroom supplies and operate equipment
- Frequent sitting
- Standing, walking, kneeling
Keywords: Galileo Camps, Irvine , Current College Students - Summer Assistant Instructor, Education / Teaching , Irvine, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!